Did you mean: 

Help with NTFS versus FAT32

FIXED
WinfredVaughan
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Help with NTFS versus FAT32

VileReynard

Woops !  Thanks for that.  I nearly got caught out and unless you had explained, I would not have understood.

So I think the only viable solution is probably a standard 2 TB hard disk.

WinfredVaughan
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Following on from that, I have seen ths on Amazon which seems reasonable value fo a new one; I would not buy a used one for obvious reasns.   Is it suitable ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009CPDI62/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I hope you do not mind me asking but in view of my naivety over the SSD, I thought it best to ask firs !

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is the Amazon drive for use as an internal drive, to replace your current one?

BTW There is nothing wrong with that hybrid SSD/HD disk - if you don't mind the price, the SSD cache should give a better performance for certain types of job mix. I'm not rich enough to have ever used one. 😀

I would say, that the SSD thing was not exactly highlighted - it was simply that there are no 2TB SSD disks for "only" £100!

The SSD won't help for large sequential writes, such as backups though.

You might find this interesting:-

https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Toshiba-DT01ACA200-2TB/Rating/2736 

Not sure what "Release date: Q1 2013." means.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@VileReynard wrote:

Not sure what "Release date: Q1 2013." means.

It means that it was publicly released (aka available to buy) in the first three months of 2013

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@VileReynard   as Mook said.....  although generally it is a "business" term... Q1  = the first quarter of   year XXXX,  Q2  = second quarter  of yearXXXX   etc etc...especially used on forecasting profit/loss/ production figures ... etc...

VileReynard
Hero

I know what Qx means - but were multi-TB consumer grade disks sold 7 years ago?

According to Wikipedia, "2012 – TDK demonstrates 2 TB on a single 3.5-inch platter"

So if this particular HDD was actually designed/built/sold in 2013, I wouldn't be inclined to buy it (at any price).

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep @shutter 

I used to hear that all the time when I worked for a financial company. Got the hang of it, not too hard:

Q1: January-March
Q2: April-June
Q3: July-September
Q4: October-December

Pretty sure that is right. I hope so 😊

VileReynard
Hero

Unless you are counting financial quarters according to modern usage 🤣, which fall (approximately) from Wikipedia:-

The English quarter days (also observed in Wales and the Channel Islands) are

Lady Day was also the first day of the year in British dominions (excluding Scotland) until 1752 (when it was harmonised with the Scottish practice of 1 January being New Year's Day). The British fiscal year still starts on "Old" Lady Day (6 April under the Gregorian calendar corresponded to 25 March under the Julian calendar: the eleven days the new-style calendar advanced in 18th century plus one day due to the twelfth skipped Julian leap day in 1800; however, it was not changed to 7 April when a thirteenth Julian leap day was skipped in 1900). The dates of the quarter days observed in northern England until the 18th century were the same as those in Scotland.[2]

The cross-quarter days are four holidays falling in between the quarter days: Candlemas (2 February), May Day (1 May), Lammas (1 August), and All Hallows (1 November). The Scottish term days, which fulfil a similar role as days on which rents are paid, correspond more closely to the cross-quarter days than to the English quarter days.

However - this is off-topic - can anyone recommend a 2TB disk?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@VileReynard wrote:

... but were multi-TB consumer grade disks sold 7 years ago?

According to Wikipedia, "2012 – TDK demonstrates 2 TB on a single 3.5-inch platter"

A quick check of my (incomplete) records shows the following purchase in November 2013 - 

£129.99 to eBuyer for Seagate ST4000VN000 4TB HDD

and I remember having a 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green quite a while before then - still have it (not presently in use) although it has some bad sectors.  Just checked and it was manufactured in May 2011.

Wink

(As an aside,I sold the 4TB disk just under 2 years ago as part of a NAS bundled with 4 identical disks, all of which had zero errors or re-allocated sectors at the time of sale).

Edit:  added a missed word

VileReynard
Hero

@RobPN wrote:

A quick check of my (incomplete) records shows the following purchase in November 2013 - 

£129.99 to eBuyer for Seagate ST4000VN000 4TB HDD

and I remember having a 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green quite a while before then - still have it (not presently in use) although it has some bad sectors.  Just checked and it was manufactured in May 2011.

Consumer grade?

Weirdly, those disks still exist - but they are only 5900rpm - and expensive.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@WinfredVaughan  I've used CCL both through Amazon and direct (I usually go for what is the cheaper option). Very reliable when it comes to delivery. 2.5" 2TB - £66

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@VileReynard 

The 'VN' in the model number of the 4TB version denoted its suitability for NAS usage, but there was a similar model for desktop usage (the letters may have been 'DM' but I can't remember), so why not consumer grade?

The 2TB one I mentioned above was 'green' so almost certainly CG!  

One of the selling points for me at the time was the 5900rpm spin speed as that meant less 'whine' even though it still had fast seek times.

Last time I checked the newer versions of that HDD were slightly above £100, and a friend has actually purchased several of them for NAS usage over the past three years or so, although one had to be returned just inside the warranty period (3-years) for replacement due to having failing sectors.

Something which is probably relevant is that your link (I haven't followed it) mentioned "on a single platter", clearly that is a different achievement than just having multi-TB HDDs.  Wink

VileReynard
Hero

The first disk I bought separately for an old PC was a 10,000rpm SCSI (couldn't afford the 15,000 rpm models); it wasn't noisy.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

As a recommendation for a 2TB disk here's one that's subject to pocket depth.

Edit: - Corrected stupid link opening default.

VileReynard
Hero

AFAIK Only recent BIOS's will support M.2 SATA

So you might have to choose the "standard" SATA version?

Why does the M.2 need a battery?