cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Flash Player is out of date virus

Helios150

Help with Flash Player is out of date virus

Just seen this for the 1st time. This was shortly after updating Edge to v 83.0.478.61. Is this a coincidence?

Anyway tried Malwarebytes (free) and manual deletion of all browsing data for this and earlier versions of Edge.

Malwarebytes did not detect anything and I still get the popup.

I have a copy of the ULR on the redirect page if this helps.

Any advice please?

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Help with Flash Player is out of date virus

Welcome to the forums, @Helios150 . This may not work, but try running MWB in safe mode.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@Helios150 

Flash has been a security nightmare for years. Adobe are ending support in December. If you search online you will find plenty of advice on how to disable and/or remove it from Win 10.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Seems Flash will automatically be terminated by Microsoft in December 2020. Even though it was recently updated in the last week or so.

Flash will be completely removed from all browsers by December 31, 2020, via Windows Update.

BTW I don't think you'll find its a virus, its just the browser warning you the version you have is out of date. i.e Firefox used to do it a lot.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 , @idonno Thanks for that information. As I don't use any MS browsers , I'm not worried -  it has been disabled in Firefox for quite a while now, although still available if needed.

I think you are correct, @idonno about it being a valid warning, but as it is disabled, I never get that warning now, although I do remember it in the dim and distant past.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Despite what's been said, depending on the site being visited, it is of course possible to get fake warnings which if clicked on would undoubtedly lead to problems.

As I knew of one such site where I've previously experienced what I assume to be the 'Fake Flash Update' click-bait for the unwary I just re-visited for the purpose of getting a screenshot.  This was seen using the latest version of Chrome.

Note:  Image only, i.e. no clickable buttons.

FakeFlash.PNG

I've not used it for years AFAIR, bur roll on December if it means the end of Flash.

jab1
Legend

@RobPN Interesting - wonder what would happen on a browser that blocks all flash by default?😁

John
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@Helios150 wrote:

Just seen this for the 1st time. This was shortly after updating Edge to v 83.0.478.61.

Edge, like Google Chrome, has embedded Flash support; if you've recently updated Edge you'll have the latest Flash version (the update to Edge may even have been due to an update to Flash). The embedded Flash is disabled by default - unless you've explicitly enabled it isflashinstalled will tell you it's not installed.

You may have Flash Player installed with the OS; Adobe have an uninstaller here.

Malwarebytes did not detect anything and I still get the popup.

I have a copy of the ULR on the redirect page if this helps.

A screenshot of the popup and the redirect you're seeing might help.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 

Apparently Chrome since version 76 blocks disables Flash by default, mine is version 83 which is why I mentioned I'm using the latest (I think) version.

I don't know if it's a genuine Flash update message or a fake and there's no chance of me clicking it to find out what it might drop on my PC!  Wink

The site visited is probably on some dodgy list, although AFAIK it doesn't seem to be blocked under any court orders like ThePirateBay and some others supposedly are.

Edit : changed 'blocks' to 'disables', as probably not the same thing

jab1
Legend

@RobPN Thought I'd seen that information re: Chrome somewhere - must have been on one of the tech sites I visit, cos I don't use Chrome, but it very possible click-bait - I know someone who (very carefully) occasionally uses slightly dodgy sites, and they have mentioned this previously, but like you, they would never dream of clicking a 'link' like that.

John
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@RobPN wrote:

Apparently Chrome since version 76 blocks disables Flash by default, mine is version 83 which is why I mentioned I'm using the latest (I think) version.

Edit : changed 'blocks' to 'disables', as probably not the same thing

Different terminology. Same outcome. 😀

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

So...... What happens when Flash is discontinued...????Huh

presumably those sites that use it.. will have to use some other form of presenting the information, that is compatible with everyone else?  

what would that be... and is it already installed in O.S`s   such as Win10 and Linux various flavours ?

jab1
Legend

@shutter HTML5 is the 'Flash' replacement, and all the sites I visit where flash was used previously seem to have switched to this - I certainly haven't had any sites (other than Flash of course) asking me to enable the old plug-in.

I've not read up on it much - to me, it is just 'one of those things that work', but my understanding that it is not something you have to install, rather it is how the content is created.

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@jab1 OK... thanks for the info... yeah.... me too... !   Haven`t a clue what it is... or how it works,.. it just does... and that`s all I really understand... some sites still use Flash Player for "live" streams, I suppose,  so they will have to do some work, presumably to shift over to HTML5 ( whatever that is ! ! ! ) .

cheers Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think Adobe have inserted a bit of code into Flash which will cause Flash to fail on 31st December 2020.

Bit like what the government have inserted into the British Economy.

A kind of #FLexit. 🤣

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."