Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to get USB Drivers for Windos ME

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Help to get USB Drivers for Windos ME

Thanks for the slapped wrist HPsauce! I was not I think trying to encourage Midnight Caller to move away from ME, merely making an observation on your suggestion to use 2K drivers for it. And you're quite right I don't recall ever having tried it, but having both dual-booted I probably didn't need to, However my experiences of ME have not been happy ones, admittedly it was an upgrade of 98SE from an upgrade of 98 which was an upgrade of 95 probably not the best way to get an OS in peak condition. For me 2K was a new install.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
HPsauce
Pro

Cheers petlew, I wasn't having a go. Sometimes (often) what you write in jest is read rather differently.  Grin
And I've found ME on a clean install is pretty good. Obviously on systems that can't support anything later, but many 95 or 98 systems are much improved by it (sometimes with a tad more memory).
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
And WinME was updated to take WDM drivers so sometimes (often) drivers for W2K DO cut the mustard.

This is true, but the problem is neither W2K nor XP need drivers for what is essentially a USB Mass storage device - so there are no drivers available.
Win ME was the first Windows to be able to pick up USB Mass Storage in this way - Win98 still needs drivers loaded.
The Seagate/Maxtor support pages pretty much suggest that ME is unsupported for this drive model, and I think that is the real issue with ME and is the reason for the "...upgrade to XP..." comments. It doesn't matter how well the OS works for anyone, or how much it costs to upgrade, what has to be considered really is the real cost of ownership. Microsoft don't support ME any more and maybe it fell off support much earlier than it should have. Many hardware vendors are also not supporting it any more - and that is the biggest problem.
I'm not going to join in the calls to upgrade, or downgrade to to a different OS, if you like ME and it works for you, then that's OK, each to their own. I'm just going to say that this old, unsupported OS is sometimes going to prevent you from doing everything you want on the PC, or at the very least, going to limit the hardware/software you can purchase for it.
petlew
Pro

Well said Phil_E. The definitive answer I think.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.