Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to get USB Drivers for Windos ME

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Help to get USB Drivers for Windos ME

Hi All
I need help to get the Drivers for Maxtor External Storage Personal Storage 3200 pleas don't tell me to google it I have and I Phoned Maxtor in the USA the bloke sed that he would send me a Link to download  the Drivers, well no email and no link to get the Drivers.   Sad
The OS is Windos ME
18 REPLIES 18
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Re: Help to get USB Drivers for Windos ME

Is this link any good to you... It's the main page for Maxtor products (which are now owned by Seagate).
It's rather strange that it's not working in Win Me though. Didn't ME ship with standard USB Mass Storage drivers, much the same as XP did?
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Actually, just found this on the support pages
Hardware and Operating System Requirements for Windows PC
• Pentium III-class equivalent processor or later
• Windows 2000 or XP
• 128MB RAM or more as required by operating system
NOTE: Macintosh Systems are NOT supported with this product.

So ME may not support the drive - it's not mentioned at all in the requirements, only Win2000 and XP.
In fact, this page implies that ME is not supported for the 3200 drive.
petermaughan
Grafter

Hi!
This question has been exercising my brain too.  I think that you don't need special drivers for ME because it was more advanced that 98SE.  You might find this page useful on the Seagate web site.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=External_Drive_Troubleshooter_-_Windows_Dete...
Peter
Ghozer
Grafter

Who even still uses ME any way? not only was it the least stable of all the windows (including Windows 95), support has also stopped for it now too, You should upgrade to XP to be honest.
Not applicable

Gary was asking for help, not criticism.
If you don't have a constructive answer, its probably worth taking a minute to consider whether the person asking for help would welcome your opinion.
I sincerely hope you aren't so rude to people who call you to ask for help (you'll find its not really in keeping with the business target of winning awards for friendly helpful service.)
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

I have to agree with James on this - it was completely unconstructive and unprofessional.
There are some people who still have old technology, who cannot possibly afford to upgrade their hardware to support newer versions of Windows Operating Systems.
As for Win ME, I ran a box using it for 4 years with no stability problems at all, I guess it's all down to the hardware/software mix.
/coat
RoxyNet
Dabbler

Hi,
  Help comes in many forms and there are many ways to express it - some good and some not so good. However, there is an element of truth regarding upgrading to a more stable operating system. Window ME was very poor and, after all, was really a frontend GUI to Windows 98 to make it look sexier (at the time) and more llike Windows 2000. In the long run, it is certainly worth upgrading to a more stable, more supported and more dynamic operating system. Your USB issues (and many more other problems perhaps) should be resolved.
It can sometimes be a little painful upgrading to a new operating system but there is plenty of help at hand should one need it...
Hope this helps,
Roxynet.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

for reason that Gary has often stated in other locationas, he cant upgrade to XP or Vista, so please stop suggesting it
Ghozer
Grafter

Yeah, I apologise, admitidly I havent seen his other posts as I have only been on here about a week, so my apologies to all involved regarding this Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've still got a couple of ME systems for specific reasons (both old laptops) and can usually find a way to get most things to work.......... Wink
I think you MIGHT get some luck with Windows 2000 drivers - if they exist for the device have you tried them?
petlew
Pro

Uhh! Win2000 drivers? Win Me was based on an updated (!) Win 98 which it'self was from Win95 origins. Win2000 was based on Win NT and a quite different animal in spite of visual similarities. I used to have Win Me and 2k as a dual boot...I know which was more stable and usable, probably Windows best ever and most underrated OS; 2k.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Not applicable

Ghozer's response is exactly what I get when I ask for advice about my friend's computer, also running ME, so he is a long way from being alone and perhaps shouldn't be criticised too harshly.  I never take offence because there is a lot of truth in it.
I can well understand why Gary likes his ME - my friend is exactly the same and won't be parted from it.
The computer has a nice clear graphical display and she knows where everything is (well, all the bits that she needs and is interested in!).
When I am working on it, I often come away thinking that it does most of the things that we find necessary (we only require fairly simple things from our machines).
The good thing is that it's a challenge for the little grey cells keeping an older, unsupported OS ticking over nicely.
Hope that you have found your solution Gary.
jnwright
Grafter

@Gary
I found the following information in a post on the DriverGuide forum.  Their super moderator reckons you don't need a driver for Windows ME!
HPsauce
Pro

Just for amusement I plugged a USB flash memory "EasyDisk" stick into my WinME laptop today - it's a large-capacity recent model that has no W98 or similar drivers.
I needed the WinME CD for some files but otherwise it worked straight away.
PS Petlew, I don't think you've read the whole thread. The poster is staying on ME and not moving anywhere. You may like W2K, as do I, but he's not going there however much better you may think it is. And WinME was updated to take WDM drivers so sometimes (often) drivers for W2K DO cut the mustard. Have you ever actually done that yourself?  Roll_eyes