cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to connect new laptop to desktop TOPIC CLOSED

bronygog
Dabbler

Help to connect new laptop to desktop TOPIC CLOSED

Am green on this subject.  Desktop on XP with ADSL through BT Voyager 105.  Now want to connect laptop (Vista) to my same ADSL connection in parallel with desktop but hardwired not wireless.  Can anyone advise what kit and how to connect?
38 REPLIES 38
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Help to connect new laptop to desktop

You need a router - possibly wireless(?)
Plusnet will give you one for the price of P&P and promising to stay for the duration of a 12 month contract.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

p_w_d_stone
Grafter

The Voyager 105 is seriously outdated kit and won't work with Vista- if you add a second network card to your desktop you could share the connection, but by far and away the best solution is to get a modem-router. If you agree to extend your contract with PlusNet they'll probably send you one for £6.99 P&P but you could buy this without extending your connection by buying one at PC World (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0865504577.1239057108@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgeadeglmlgffkcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=350743&category_oid=) or online (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/52244). The Netgear DG834G is extremely popular on these forums and excellent at holding a good connection on relatively poor lines.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
if you add a second network card to your desktop you could share the connection,

RTFM Chaps - a second network card would be redundant.
The Voyager 105 is USB, thus the onboard NIC will already be vacant, and available for the connection of a crossover Cat5 to share the internet connection if this was what the OP had asked.
But it's not what the OP asked.
Quote from: bronygog
Now want to connect laptop (Vista) to my same ADSL connection in parallel with desktop but hardwired not wireless. 

My bold, but the key is parallel, not series.

~~~
Put simply, Jeremy (praxisofevil) has the nail on the head; you need to have an ADSL Modem/router.
You could raise a ticket and ask PN to send you one, which they would do under the condition that you agree to remain a customer for the next 12mths, *and* you agree to pay £6.99 P&P charges. (You must have valid credit/debit card details entered in the payment types section of the portal in order to allow PN to collect this payment.)
I'm also a fan of Netgear kit, but in all honesty the kit PN are sending out is just as good - and far cheaper. Its the option to go for if you are happy to remain with them for the next 12mths.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a problem could be that the newer routers are ethernet and not usb, the 585 is definitely not
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
a problem could be that the newer routers are ethernet and not usb,

They are indeed, but it's not a problem.
If the old XP PC has no ethernet port buy a cheap USB-LAN adapter.
Lurker
Grafter

I would be very confident that any PC sold new with XP on it would have an onboard NIC.
If we were talking about a Win2k or Win98 machine, perhaps there might be some doubt, but I reckon we are on pretty safe ground with XP.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: James_G
I would be very confident that any PC sold new with XP on it would have an onboard NIC

You live in a sheltered (or corporate?) world I'm afraid. I've seen loads of "sold with XP" PC's with just a modem and no LAN.  Tongue
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Sorry James, point taken- it's been so long since I've seen one I forgot momentarily it is USB only (the later 205 is ethernet and USB). He could still share his internet connection from the 105 (cross-over to second computer) if he was sufficiently tech savvy but I agree, as I stated in the first response, that a router is by far and away the best option.
I noted the parallel but was simply explaining all options- the series one is effectively without cost, although technically far inferior.
I could also point to the thread title.
bronygog
Dabbler

Bronygog here.  My desktop has a rear socket marked NETWORK if that is any help.  The wireless route now sounds attractive but is there a wireless modem/router with usb connectivity or is usb old hat?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

USB was old hat before anyone thought of it.
It was originally an ultra-cheap way of connecting a PC to low speed devices such as keyboards, mice, printers.
Long before USB people used ethernet cable connected to a router - which requires little CPU intervention (unlike USB).
Wireless is well established now and in conjunction with a router works well.
It sounds like you have an ethernet cable connection on your desktop - to run wireless you will need to get a wireless card and install it.
Most(all(?)) modern laptops will come with a builtin wireless connection.
A router is actually a combination of a modem and router - the router includes services such as a firewall and a way of
hiding your PC's  ip address from anyone on the internet (NAT).
These two features alone will greatly enhance your security.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

Put simply, a USB modem needs to be looked after by the PC, whereas a router looks after itself. As long as you get a router with more than one network port (most do, but check) then you just need two network cables. One plugs in to the network port on your desktop PC, and the other into your laptop. A new router will come with one network cable already, so you just need to buy one extra one.
bronygog
Dabbler

Thanks guys......but I am getting further into the mire!    I get the drift that I need a wireless card to enable the network port but looking at e-buyer selection of wireless cards - WOW, it's a minefield!  Desktop pc has ASUS A8N-VM motherboard with most slots free put together by "Mesh".  Can you suggest what card I need to connect to say the suggested Netgear router?
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: bronygog
I need a wireless card to enable the network port

No!  Embarrassed
The network port should "just work" by running an ethernet cable from it to the router, unless there's some unusual internal problem with your PC.
If you do actually want the PC to connect wirelessly then please confirm and you'll get advice on an appropriate card to install.
bronygog
Dabbler

Thanks HPsauce, yes, lets go down the wireless route.  Where do I go from here?