cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help this is driving me mad

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Help this is driving me mad

I recently connected to steam to play COD modern warfare 2 and after 10 minutes computer switched itself off and when it came back i had no internet connection
i re loaded drivers etc etc but it only came back after i switched the computer on and off  a few times then the internet comes back although i dont get the 2 little tv's in my tray
Each time i re start i get the 2 little monitors and it says aquiring network address but it never does till i finally get the restart without the monitors and i have the internet back
My question is this a hardware problem has my internet card been corrupted in some way:
Specs of machine are
2.93 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
3328 Megabytes Installed Memory
Now here is the bit that matters when i re loaded drivers it seemed to change the description and this is what Belarc tells me:
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2
primary   Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.66 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.254
Physical Address: 00:1D:7D:E9:F1:77
Before this problem my card was called  Realtek RTL8168(P)8111(C)PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
When i downloaded the drivers from Realtek it gave the above description but then changed it to family controller maybe thats the same thing i dont know
But what is baffling me is why i get connection after several shutdowns, by the way before it rectifies itself it hangs for ages before the desktop icons appear every shutdown
I am now frightened to switch the damn thing off because it takes me ages to get back on line.Yes i have checked settings and it does say obtain ip address automatically
Any help might prevent me from a nervous breakdown.
PS i know its the game that caused the problem because before i realised it was the game i played again and same thing happened
Thanks
Mike
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Help this is driving me mad

Might be worth running a System Restore back to before your problems began.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Should have said but that was the first thing i tried which had no effect......
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It MUST have restored your network drives back to what they were originally.  Are you sure System Restore completed successfully?
Lurker
Grafter

Sounds more likely to be the router that wants a restart based upon the symptoms (IMO)