Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with router firewall settings

Adderman
Grafter

Help needed with router firewall settings

OK
Help needed for a router novice!
Just connected my first router - a Netgear DG834Gv5. I believe I should ideally  use both my router firewall and software firewall for maximum protection.
I know my router has default firewall settings (allow outbound, block inbound) but do i need to set specific parameters for maximum protection? Do these parameters have to mirror my software firewall settings? And how do complete router novices like me do that? Netgear info over technical for me  and various web searches don't clear the fog!
My router is just hard wired to the only single desktop PC - no wireless connection or extra computers needed at the moment.
I already use Zonealarm free firewall with both internet and trusted zones set on high. In ZA my  programmes are individually set to either "Allow", "Block" or "Ask" internet access. (Server settings on only Ask or Block).
I only surf, email and download necessary updates and the occasional music track.
Any idiot proof instruction and advice greatfully appreciated!!
Ta
Adderman
4 REPLIES 4
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Help needed with router firewall settings

You should be fine with the router firewall set as it is. It is completely independent to the software firewall running on the PC. The software firewall is a second layer of defence. It sounds like you have that set up correctly as well, so I wouldn't worry. The more advanced settings would probably only be needed if you know you need them, if that makes sense. If you were hosting your own website, for example, it would need to be set up to allow incoming traffic. You are not doing anything like that, so the basic settings will be fine.
Adderman
Grafter

Thanks very much Denzil. Comes as a relief that I don't have to mess around with firewall settings!!
Cheers
Adderman
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My router is just hard wired to the only single desktop PC - no wireless connection or extra computers needed at the moment.

Only thing I would suggest, if you're not using wireless, then turn it off ( or disable it ) on the router ( if you havent already !! )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Adderman
Grafter

Already done MisterW but ta anyway.
Adderman