Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with laptop please!

FIXED
KI28

Help needed with laptop please!

Hi
I've recently moved from BT to Plusnet. Everything has set up fine but I'm having problems connecting my son's laptop to the internet. It's a Lenovo Ideapad with Windows 10. My Mac, phones etc have all connected with no problems but we can't get the laptop Wi-Fi to work. He can connect when we connect it directly to the modem with the Ethernet cable but not on WiFi.
He manages to connect to other Wi-Fi when he's out and about but not at home.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated....I have little idea when it comes to computers so basic steps please!
The speed has been much slower than Plusnet advised we would be getting, but I have raised this as an issue with them
Many thanks
20 REPLIES 20
greystuff
Hooked

Re: Help needed with laptop please!

Think i have a similar issue - was using a Plusnet QGQGTC router for number of years free from problems, recently change to fibre with WXF8 router, now old win 10 laptop running early version of win 10 and tv ok, but new Lenovo laptop has an issue, ie Settings state wifi is secure and connected but when I search (Google/firefox) the wifi disconnects, ran various win 10 troubleshooters which 'correct the issue' but as soon as I try to search I lose connection. Any advice gladly received - but please keep it easy/simple!!!

Thank you

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Moved from Broadband to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@KI28 wrote:
It's a Lenovo Ideapad with Windows 10. My Mac, phones etc have all connected with no problems but we can't get the laptop Wi-Fi to work. He can connect when we connect it directly to the modem with the Ethernet cable but not on WiFi.
He manages to connect to other Wi-Fi when he's out and about but not at home.
Can't be much wrong if the laptop will connect by wifi elsewhere. I just wondered if the laptop is set up to connect at 5.0ghz and your home wifi is 2.4Ghz. Presumably you've right clicked on the wifi at the bottom right (when you can't connect) and tried 'troubleshoot problems'. If you open 'Network and Internet settings', select wifi - what does it say. e.g. mine says I'm connected to my local network X etc. If I then go into Hardware Properties it tells me much more. When you click 'Show available networks', does your network appear in the list?
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you accidentally mistype the password the first time around the computer will sometimes refuse to let go of the wrong password and will just fail to connect repeatedly instead of asking you to try again.  So you need to go to the list of known wireless networks in Settings and delete your home network so you can start again with a clean slate.   

KI28

It's showing that I'm connected to my network and does connect for about 10 seconds when I start it up and then it just drops off and I'm unable to go further than a homepage.

I've tried the troubleshoot option many times and the message I keep getting is "The connection between your access point, router or cable modem and the internet is broken"

KI28

@ReedRichards wrote:

If you accidentally mistype the password the first time around the computer will sometimes refuse to let go of the wrong password and will just fail to connect repeatedly instead of asking you to try again.  So you need to go to the list of known wireless networks in Settings and delete your home network so you can start again with a clean slate.   

Thanks - I've tried this but no luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KI28 - If you are confident you have the correct password can I suggest that you do the following, it may appear drastic but I know this works as I’ve used the same approach twice now.

1. Go to Start > Device Manager > Network Adapters and select the LAN Adapter.
2. Right Click on the Adapter and select Delete
3. You may then be asked if you want to delete the drivers that go with the device select Yes.

Repeat this process for the WiFi (Wireless) Adapter as well.

With the devices removed close the Device Manager and shut down the PC and wait for the fans and disks to stop. Remove the LAN cable now if you still have it connected. Now power up the machine again and Windows will automagically and silently reinstall the WiFi and LAN adapters and their device drivers.

Once booted and logged in connect to your WiFi network ideally pasting in the WiFi key so you know it's right. Once you’ve done this I think you’ll find all is well.

greystuff
Hooked

Am experiencing same conditions as K128, laptop fine at friends home. However opened Device manager>network adaptors but do not have LAN listed, have Qualcomm, TP link ethernet USB adaptor and WAN mini pc (8).

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can ignore the Mini Port PC drivers @greystuff, I guess that the Qualcomm is the LAN adapter, and obviously the TP-Link is your WiFi.

greystuff
Hooked

Hi K128 Has any of this information helped you, I think I have concluded the problem is with the router but my tech ability is pretty slim (I am 72 with no techy personal support) so not quite sure what to do next.  So, what can I try next?Huh

KI28

Sorry greystuff, I haven't yet been able to try Mook's suggestion as my son was away yesterday with his laptop. I will try it tonight and update if it has worked

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

You haven't said which router you have. If it's a Plusnet Hub One have you tried separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels and tried each (assuming that the laptop has 5GHz capability) in turn? https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

KI28

@Baldrick1 No I haven't tried this. As a complete novice how do I do this? Many thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Click on the link in my last post and it will take you to the instructions.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'