cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with XP repair

Not applicable

Help needed with XP repair

My friend's computer will only boot to the desktop but not loading any programmes. Can get into safe mode with same result. I have the disc and tried to do a repair but the only display on boot up is 'press any key to boot from disc'. When I do this the situation is just the same. Please could someone advise re repairing?
I did try System Restore with no result. I suspect that a virus has found its way onto the machine.
Would be very grateful for any advice.
2 REPLIES 2
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Help needed with XP repair

Try looking at this site. Explains all about repair installs.  Hopefully will solve your issues.
Have you tried getting the task manager up, after getting to the desktop, to see if explorer.exe is running. you could also try this
1. After the computer boots up press the 'Ctrl + Alt + Delete' buttons to initiate 'Task Manager'.
2. From the menu choose 'File' and then choose 'New Task'.
3. Within the text box type 'explorer' and press 'Enter'  to initiate the desktop.
4. Than, right-click 'My Computer' and choose 'Manage' from the menu.
5. Go to the 'Even Viewer' section and choose the 'System Logs' and post us here any allert related with the 'explorer.exe'.  You could have a spyware/virus  infection.  After you have the desktop, you could possibly try system restore to a time the system was working OK.  Let us know how you get on
Not applicable

Re: Help needed with XP repair

Thank you very much for replying and trying to help penfold. Managed to find some information on the Internet about doing a repair of XP Pro (never done it before). One of the documents suggested going into the BIOS to change the boot order so I attempted to do this by pressing F1 as it booted up and it took me to the correct screen for doing the repair. The instructions were very concise and I followed them to the letter. The computer is now up and running again and has recovered from a 'serious error' (wrote all the details down but don't understand them).
I have installed Avast and Superantispyware and am going to scan in safe mode to see if it throws anything up.
Also need to re-download the service packs.
Hope that it stays alright.