Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed please

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Help needed please

Hello
I have a Dell Dimension 4300 a little old i know but i have upgraded the graphics card and hard disk. My problem surrounds the memory apparently the maximum she will take is 512k Ram which is what i am on but she is struggling with some programmes. I know i will get MOH Airbourne for my birthday and the min requirements are 1 gig of ram so my questions are:
1. would i need to change my Motherboard presuming this is possible as i know Dell comps can be a little difficult in this area.
2 is it easy to do and
3. Would the cost make it unrealistic.
Many thanks in advance for any help given.
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Help needed please

Hi
Your PC appears to have 2 ram slots with a maximum capacity of 512MB in each.
Have a look here.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Many Thanks for your reply Fretmaster
I am a little puzzled perhaps i must have read the results incorrectly before and i assumed it was a max of 512 for the whole machine but it appears as you say to be 512 per slot, i seem to recall even ringing Dell about it but then they probably know less than i do..I greatly appreciate your input as i was considering changing my machine now i wont have to...keep up the good work Many Thanks..Mike
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Now i am more confused i have been searching around for memory upgrade and went to http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=11015&ft=m&st=3
and they say the Dell 4300 can only take a maximum of 512 KB
Memory so who is correct ?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Dell are here.
That states while it can take a 512MB memory stick, the system only supports a max of 512MB.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

It seems very strange that several big companies have the wrong spec for this machine, i wonder how many people have bought memory upgrades to 1gb and not noticed any improvement.... this site: http://memorybits.co.uk/computer_memory.php
also quotes the Dell4300 as a max of 1 gig ?
I suppose i will have to return to my original question and forget all the bits in the middle....So i will start again
1. would i need to change my Motherboard presuming this is possible as i know Dell comps can be a little difficult in this area.
2 is it easy to do and
3. Would the cost make it unrealistic.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just to finalise the confusion Kingston state a maximum if 1GB in 2 x 512MB sticks.
I would be tempted to ask around my mates to see if anyone has a spare stick lying around and give it a try.
Having said that, if you change the motherboard, a new Processor, Ram and graphics card will probably be needed.
Usually in these circumstances I recommend a new box as being the cheaper option.
Good luck
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As a warning, Dell machines might be mostly standard, but the motherboards and cases (and sometimes the power supplies) usually have some sort of proprietary connectors somewhere that means you can't use them with any other sorts. I would seriously check that before you upgrade anything major, as it might be cheaper (as stated above) and certainly easier to buy a whole new PC - perhaps one with basic graphics as you've just upgraded the card and could use that instead.
Hope that helps,
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Yes, thanks, it seems i need a new machine so now i know what to put on my Christmas list....