cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed please

Roberto0151
Grafter

Help needed please

Using a windows 8.1 laptop..This morning after usual routine I shut down the comp and got "installing 1 update" Then followed the usual stuff - comp restarted -  installing update  30 %  etc. etc. and eventually "getting windows ready. Do not turn off computer"  -  where it stuck for about three hours.  Gave up and rebooted but ended up in same place.
I suspect that going back to factory setting would be grim as the comp started as Win 8 and I guess that updating would be an enormous hassle.
I have a disc back up going back abt 2 weeks on an external disc but have no real idea how to use it (but I suppose I would have to just suck it and see if the worst comes to the worst)  Sad
Has anyone any thoughts please ?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help needed please

Could it be installing Windows 10?
Roberto0151
Grafter

Don't know - I've no way of seeing any thing other than  "getting windows ready. Do not turn off computer"

How can I check ?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If its installing windows 10.... boot it up, and go to bed.... leave it on all night.. and see what has happened in the morning.... ( hopefully, your smoke alarms are active ! ! .... just in case ! !  )
Seriously.. if it is windows 10 upgrade from 8.1 it will take forever...
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks shutter though I can't say I'm very confident  -  as I can't get in to any window except Do not turn off your computer  Crazy
Still, smoke alarm is ok and only about 2 yards from the laptop and all the electrics !
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

make sure it has good airflow to the underside or it might be overheating the cpu, its possible you will need to enter safe mode (normally pressing f8 during the p.o.s.t phase of the boot sequence before windows starts) to change the hdd settings ( my laptop kept freezing up trying to install windows 10 because the drive decided there was no user input and spun down.......) then boot normally and finish the install /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I recommend turning off your router so your machine realises it has no internet connection.  Sometimes a stuck download can cause this type of problem.
Roberto0151
Grafter

Seems worth a try.  I'll probably have a go later today or tomorrow as I'm coming under some pressure to catch up with much overdue work in the garden  Smiley
Roberto0151
Grafter

Have tried all suggestions now but, unfortunately, no change.
It seems I shall actually have to do some serious thinking now.
Luckily the mrs thought early this year that she should have a "basic" computer so that she could try to learn how to use it.  So far she's hardly touched it but it at least I've now got something to use if/when my machine goes phut.
I will come back in due course when this is resolved.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Despite what it says, your only way out is to force your computer to turn off.  You'll probably find your computer is more prone to go to sleep and wake up exactly where it was before - you need to get around that. 
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

First try a full power down of your laptop then a restart to see if that moves things along, to power down press and hold the power button for anything above 6 seconds. You may well hear a faint ‘pop’ from the speakers as the audio powers down then the laptop should power off completely.
Optional, next step for me would be to remove the laptop battery for around 30 minutes to dissipate any residual charge in the motherboard. Refit battery (if removed) and power back up again.
If this achieves nothing then go to your second computer, I hope it has a DVD writer installed, and go to the link below. Download the appropriate version of Windows 8.1 (home or Pro) and burn to a DVD or make a bootable flash drive if you have a spare one.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
Back to your laptop open the DVD drive (use a straightened paper clip if powered off, push it in the tiny hole in the front of the drive to release it), insert the DVD then as above hard power down the system.
Power back up and with luck it should boot from the DVD, if not repeat and try hitting F8 or F12 as it is starting to get to a boot menu. Once booted from the DVD carefully read the menus and find and click the ‘Repair’ option. With a lot of luck this should repair Windows and get you back to a desktop.
Note this may well remove all installed updates and you might have to download and install them again.
Hope that will help, good luck, regards, P.   
Roberto0151
Grafter

Hi all.  I've now tried pretty well everything except Lenovo's System Recovery button which will take it back to the original state  -- which is Windows 8 about two years or more ago and I was desperately hoping to avoid.
The last thing I will try after a suitable pause is to contact a learned aquaintance of mine who *might*  be able to make something of a bootable USB stick and external back up file which I set up a little while ago but which I have been unable to bring into life.  If I have to go back to square one it will probably take me until Christmas to bring it up to date.  Ho hum.