Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me get rid of a nuisance! Please!

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Help me get rid of a nuisance! Please!

I am sole user with administrator privileges. Whilst I had young visitors I changed my start up, so that a password was required. I have now removed the need for a password, but start up beings a logon error message
The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the proper case 
[/color Behind the message is a log on screen with [color=red]Administrator
greyed out and a space for a password.
Clicking on the message usually results in a welcome screen  with my user name saying my settings are being loaded.
How do I get rid of the messag and the greyed out welcome screen so that the first thing that my settings load immediately?.
XP Home SP3
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
7 REPLIES 7
MickKi
Grafter

Re: Help me get rid of a nuisance! Please!

How did you remove the need for a passwd?  Go into Control Panel/User Accounts, choose Admin user and enter a blank passwd.  Repeat to confirm (I think) and click OK.  Log out/in and that should do it I hope.
BTW, running with administrative privileges is not clever.  Any executable you click on will install including any virus and trojan that your antivirus application failed to recognise.  Now, running with administrative privileges AND not having a password goes well beyond not being clever, but I would not like be rude . . .
samuria
Grafter

You can go to start then run type cmd press return and then in the box type control userpasswords2  this will let you change the password and you can setup automatic login if required which means at least the admin will have a password
Luzern
Hero

@ MickKi and samuria . Thanks for replies, as to rudeness as a 72 y.o. I've been that and  and had it returned Smiley Ducks back  Wink Smiley
Got rid of the need for any password and screen goes automatically to my desktop without intervention from me, That's the good news . The bad is that it takes 4 minutes. It's never done  that before, so I am concerned. Could what Mickki warned about have happened, or have I b*d something up? Could it be to do with AVG8 or perhaps Win Patrol. which I installed after Malware Forum advised it? Shouldn't be HDD space as 27% used and has recently not need defrag according to Windows maintenance.  Any thoughts, any one?
@ Mickki How would you suggest I should be set up, being the only user and not wamting to fiddle with a password every time I boot the computer?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
samuria
Grafter

A more detailed description of using the control userpasswords2  to set an auto login with a password can be found
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
the bottom bit is the simplest  this does mean if anyone try to hack in they need a password unless the can get to the pc its self.
If its taking a long time to load right click on the winpatrol icon in the taskbar and choose display startup info. This will show you whats running at startup then you may be able to get rid of some things you dont need. winpatrol also has the option to delay startup programs so the desk top will load faster
Luzern
Hero

Smiley I'll look in to link when cobwebs are removed from brain. This what I have at start up ( attachment). Anything there posibly safe to fealy and worth it?
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
The bad is that it takes 4 minutes. It's never done  that before, so I am concerned. Could what Mickki warned about have happened, or have I b*d something up? Could it be to do with AVG8 or perhaps Win Patrol.    

People have complained that the latest version of AVG makes their machine sluggish - so I wonder if it is related.  You could uninstall it and then install another free antivirus (e.g. Avast!) to see if the 4 minutes persist.  Alternatively, search these forums to see how some users have configured it (disable real time scanning or something like it) to make it run lighter.
Quote from: lucerne
@ Mickki How would you suggest I should be set up, being the only user and not wamting to fiddle with a password every time I boot the computer?

The advice that Samuria has given is one notch up on the security stakes from running completely unprotected and it allows you to login without a password, so go with that.
Hope this helps.
Rikaitch
Grafter

Quote from: MickKi
People have complained that the latest version of AVG makes their machine sluggish - so I wonder if it is related. 

Avg's startup scan is terribly processor hungry, but you can disable it, or at least specify how often it runs. Is the drive doing anything whilst you wait this 4 minutes? If not, then I'd suspect that the profile might be corrupted. The easiest thing to do is create a new user account, and I know it's a pain, but autologin to that.