cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, just how do I get Linux to work?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Help, just how do I get Linux to work?

Catch 22.
If you had access to Linux, it would be easy to burn a bootable DVD.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@foxy... which is a stupid thing to say....  ( possibly a sly attempt at flaming too ) ...
  I have no problems burning discs with windows.... indeed, I could not have had access to Linux, if I did.....  ( unless I went down the "paid" O.S. route or borrowed it from someone else)..
doris barloff came here for help,  not sarcastic comment  Angry
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Nibiru
If you used a USB flash drive (instead of the read only DVD), then you should be able to install the necessary packages (i.e. Chrome and possibly some codecs) to the USB flash drive, so that they are available to use every time you boot your PC.
The other advantage of using a writable USB flash drive is that your settings and other history will be remembered between sessions, for example WiFi SSID and password, browsing history, etc.

Lips_are_sealed
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Some background on dvd writing:
Burn bootable iso: will put a copy of dos or a M$ bootable file on the disk for you, then you add your additional files.
Burn disk: will just put what files you select on a disk
the one you need is BURN IMAGE. But this may only burn its own images, I am not familiar with the program, if it will burn ISO's then select the iso file from the image menu, you don't need to extract or do anything to the image file other that burn it.
Also try burning at a low speed. Some writers have problems with bootable iso's at high write speed so try 4X.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Doris - I think before you attempt to write any more disks you should ensure that your Laptop can actually boot a disk. Out of all the programs you have tried I don't think for one minute that they are all broke to the point of making coasters.
As the Hairy one has said you need to do an ISO write, which I know you have done so this is raising my suspicions as to the integrity of your hardware, more so when ISO Recorder failed for you.

You need to get your hands on a bootable disk and actually find out if the machine(s) will work. If you can't get a disk from anyone then I'd suggest that you go to a PC World and tell them you have a problem booting a disk can they try it please. If it boots then it's back to the drawing board you can walk away saying 'Thanks, must be me'. If it doesn't boot you can still walk away saying 'Oh well, it's a bit old and not worth the repair bill'.
At least this way you will know if you're banging your head against a wall.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks guys. Please don't fall out over this. Embarrassed
I'm frustrated but not that worried. Just ordered a Kindle fire hd from Amazon for £40. I've already spent £15 on discs and a pack of beers ( I put them down as justifiable anaesthesia , so they get charged to this job  Smiley ), so the tablet may work out cheaper and gives me time to play with it.  So no rush to sort this out.
@ Hairy MC... I have tried the 'Boot ISO' option, to no avail.
I will try the USB stick next, then architectural rearrangement ( with my friend Mr Lumphammer).
Seriously though, it will be a case of copying all photos then doing a reformat (can you do that on a laptop). That's after I try to do a factory restore , though that only gives me vista again! Though if I keep it disconnected from internet it won't start the updates etc, and hopefully the dvd will burn and load correctly!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: doris
Please don't fall out over this. Embarrassed

Where did that come from?
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Mook,
I have tried burning on both laptops and opening dvds on both laptops, using all combinations,  which leads me to conclude that either I'm the unluckiest man alive and both machines are faulty or I'm doing something (or several something's) wrong.
I won a tenner on the lottery once so I think I must be doing something(s)  wrong.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Mook
Quote from: doris
Please don't fall out over this. Embarrassed

Where did that come from?

Posts 60 + 61. Not really arguing, but don't want it to escalate.  Smiley
I really appreciate the help and advice and don't want people to fall out over it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'doris barloff ',  it occurs to me that with the trouble that you've had so far, that you probably don't want to waste too much time extracting all your valuable photos etc, when it seems far from certain that you are going to succeed in running a new OS on this laptop.
Have you considered removing the existing hard drive (storing for safe keeping), then fitting a cheap replacement (from eBay) ?
That way you can play all you want with the new drive without risk to the contents of the existing drive,  and if the worst comes to the worst you simply refit the original drive, and you would be no worse off than when you started.
First you need to identify what your existing hard drive is, to check whether it's PATA or SATA interface, and whether 1.8" or 2.5" size.
Assuming your laptop uses the most common standard SATA 2.5" drive, I would recommend (for what you are doing), to look at -
   Western Digital 2.5" Black SATA2 7200rpm 160GB laptop drive - at about £15 on eBay.
or
  Kingston 2.5" V300 60GB or 120GB SSD - at about £20 to £25 on eBay.
Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't need a large hard drive.

As a separate question, how much RAM does this laptop have ?   Huh
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a good idea as regards the preservation of the media, but still does not get round the existing and current issue of burning a working bootable disk in order to install a the new OS.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was making the presumption that using a USB flash drive would be successful, as there is clearly an issue with the DVD.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah! I see.  Wink
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks guys, going to burn pictures to dvd and copy via said dvds to other laptop. This will provide some check of the software and hardware, and confirm it's something I'm doing wrong.
summers
Aspiring Pro

Just think what could be causing the problem. When you say you opened the file after downloading it - I'm used to iso downloading as file.iso; so did you open the file with the name .iso ?
If so that is the problem, you need to raw write the .iso file directly to the DVD/CD/USB; so opening up to look inside and you loose that the .iso is a bootable media.
Just a though, if you try again.