Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, just how do I get Linux to work?

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Help, just how do I get Linux to work?

I downloaded Linux mint, as recommended to me on my previous post (Reccomendations for Linux/alternative resolutions to my 'multiple' windows problems) and extracted the files which I then burned to DVD. I want to run of dvd and not install it. It's only to provide access to streaming Netflix (see other post for reasons, etc)
I install dvd and start up laptop, but it doesn't auto run. I go into BIOS, on start up, and the only option available is to boot from windows. Autorun is enabled. I open up the dvd player and even though the disc shows, there is no'run' option.
So it appears I have what I think is Linux mint on disc, I can't get it to run, though I can access it down to file folders.
It's running vista home basic at the moment.
Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?
Thanks in advance. Attached picture is the files on disc.
89 REPLIES 89
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Help, just how do I get Linux to work?

You don't extract the files before burning the DVD. But you don't want the .iso as one large file on the DVD either. You need to find an option like "write image" or "burn image", it depends on what software you're using to write it to a DVD.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Download, and install      "Burnaware Free 8.8 " from here...    http://www.burnaware.com/download.html
Find your Linux Mint downloaded  .iso file in your download folder
Insert clean DVD disc
Right click on it... and it should give you the  " Burn Disc Image"  dialogue.  ( at the top of the drop down )
Once it has been "Burnt" ... shut down the laptop... then re-boot.... if you have the DVD player as 1st boot option, you should get the Linux mint as previously mentioned in your other thread.
Good luck  Wink
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd recommend giving this: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ a try (USB stick rather than DVD based).  I always found it easier running from a USB stick.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Part of my problem is that I can't find how to change boot options to DVD first option! I've tried the F10 option that shows on start up screen, but that only has windows as an option. It does not have DVD/disc as an option.
Running vista home basic.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Try F2 on boot up,
If not,  when booted up... ask google.... How do I change the boot order on my XXXXXXXXXXX machine running Windows Vista...  maybe something will come up...
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks shutter, finally got it. Too tired now to download and try linux again. Will try tomorrow (later today).
summers
Aspiring Pro

yes as ejs say you need to write the raw iso to the DVD. Windows sometime has a problem with a raw write, it doesn't believe anyone would want to write direct to a CD/DVD, and that they want a file system on the disk. Anyway hopefully you can find a way of doing a raw write. Alas I'm not up to speed enough with new windows to know what apps you get as default.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: doris
I downloaded Linux mint, [...]  I want to run of dvd and not install it. It's only to provide access to streaming Netflix (see other post for reasons, etc)

I suspect you're going to be disappointed; the downside of running Linux from DVD is that you can't update or add to the software packages you've burned to disk.

AFAIK the default browser on Mint is Firefox which doesn't, on Linux, have the Digital Rights/Restrictions Management support demanded by Netflix.
I believe you'd need Google's Chrome browser (or Chromium with Google's widevine plugin) to stream Netflix on Linux.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that Waldo is correct.
If you used a USB flash drive (instead of the read only DVD), then you should be able to install the necessary packages (i.e. Chrome and possibly some codecs) to the USB flash drive, so that they are available to use every time you boot your PC.
The other advantage of using a writable USB flash drive is that your settings and other history will be remembered between sessions, for example WiFi SSID and password, browsing history, etc.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Ok guys, thanks. After the security lapse at Linux towers I'm not so sure anyway. Sad Sad Back to the drawing board. I need something simple so I can just switch it on and stream netflix (for the grandkids in the bedroom when they stay over). I would format the laptop and reload widows, but there's loads of photo's stored on it which I need to save. Though I could save them to cloud and leave it plugged in for a couple of days to sync.  Huh Huh Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Chrome OS an option for you?
http://getchrome.eu/download.php
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Mook
Is Chrome OS an option for you?

Strictly speaking, ChromeOS is only available on Chromebooks / Chromeboxes / Chromebits.
http://getchrome.eu/download.php

Cr OS Linux is an openSUSE derivative; has Chromium as default browser - no idea if it has the required DRM plugin Netflix demands.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Right, it seems I'm out of my depth here - totally lost and confounded. Having read all your comments I realise how little I understand what you are talking about. I spent all day today - using a pack of blank dvd's , trying to do this.. Angry  UNSUCCESSFULLY !!  I'm persistent to the point of stupidity!  Then I thought . 'Maybe I can buy a disc with it already to run?'. So I had a look on Ebay. After reading the listing I'm even more aware of my intellectual shortcomings.  Sad Undecided Undecided  I'm still not sure if this disc will allow me to run Linux from it - I thought it would until I read all the listing. I understood very little ( I tried Google translate - but that was useless Cheesy )  So if someone can have a read and tell me if it will work or not please, I would be grateful. It's only a few pence, so not the cost I'm concerned about, I just don't want to 'contaminate/brick the laptop.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linux-Mint-15-Olivia-Operating-System-OS-Desktop-laptop-PC-Photos-Music-/3...
Anonymous
Not applicable

You all know by now how cynical I am so I have to ask myself what is there to gain by selling a CD of a freely available OS? The CD would appear to do what you want, i.e. Boot. But unless you can be 100% certain that the system hasn't been tampered with then I for one would leave it.
This comment has nothing to do with the other thread regarding the compromised ISO it is based solely on the "what's in it for me" and my innate distrust of such things.