cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Using DDNS

Ryles81

Help Using DDNS

Hi
I’ve recently purchase an Dlink Share center 320 which came with a free Dyn DNS account and I’m trying to access my NAS from my smartphone but it’s not working.
I’m a little confused as weather I need to setup a static IP address on my Plusnet account or not, I thought the whole point of DDNS was you no longer need one or is the only difference that I get to type in a domain name rather than an IP address into my phone’s browser?
I’ve setup the DDNS account online and linked it to my Dlink NAS but when I try and access it remotely I just get a timed out error or if I try and connect from my home network I just get linked to my router login page.
This would suggest that it’s working as far as my router wouldn’t it?  I’ve tried logging into my router and I have enabled DDNS on it but I don’t think my port forwarding is setup correctly.
Can anybody please help?
Thanks  Cheesy
5 REPLIES 5
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Help Using DDNS

From what I can remember from my DYNDNS days, it can take some time for the details to 'filter' through!
FWIW a static IP from Plusnet can be had for a one-off fee of £5!
Geoff,
York.
Ryles81

thanks so do I actually need a static IP for it to work then?
sjptd
Grafter

If you have a static IP you don't need any form of dynamic dns.  However you will still need to get port forwarding right.
With a dynamic address and no dynamic dns the problem is not just that you need to type an IP address into the phone's browser, but that the IP address you need to type probably changes when the router resyncs for any reason.  Basically dynamic dns automatically handles it so the name is associated to the right address as (or soon after) that change happens.
I'm afraid I can't help on the main question of how to set up the port forwarding.  Some NAS systems do that pretty much automatically on the LAN side of your router using upnp.
In summary: two separate issues.  
(1) getting to your router from outside; either you need static IP, dynamic DNS, or luck.
(2) getting from the router to the device: either you need upnp or correct port forwarding.
~~~
That is if the phone is outside your local network.
If the phone is connected inside the network then things are different.  If you only ever want it from inside the network, DNS is pretty much irrelevant, give the phone the internal LAN address of your router.
If you sometimes want to come from inside and sometimes from outside you may have an issue.  With some routers you cannot get FROM the inside TO the inside VIA the outside, which is what you might be trying to do by typing in the dynamic dns name into the phone.  On others, you can but need to configure it appropriately.  If your router can't be set up right for that, you may need to use different addresses on your phone depending whether you are coming from inside or outside.
C1Rider
Grafter

Hello Ryles81,
My one brain cell tells me that you would be better to have a web server running on your home PC as anyone who knows your DNS address will be able to access your router log on page.
Block all ports in your router then open port 80 tcp to your PC once you have a web server running on it, then typing your DNS address will take you to the default web page and not your router.
Once that works ok you can " experiment " with various ports/settings to get you where you want to be in your home network.
Use you phone on it's 3G/4G network to check and not via WiFi.
If you have DYNDNS and can't wait for the address to propagate you can log into your DYNDNS account and manually add your IP address.  You can set the update time yourself if it isn't quick enough for you; no need for a static IP with DYNDNS..
Cool
NedLudd
Grafter

Just bear in mind though, that after your free period you will need to pay!
When I left DYNDNS some years back it was because they wanted to charge me £25 per year. As I already said, PN will give you a static IP address for a one off payment of £5!
Providing you have changed your router login details to something non-standard then you will be safe enough! I have been for donkeys years!
It's a no-brainer!
Geoff,
York.