cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Unable to copy any files to disc.

lavengro
Dabbler

Help!! Unable to copy any files to disc.

I would be grateful if someone might suggest a solution.
I have recently been getting the message " D:/not accessible incorrect function",  when I have tried to copy any files to disc.  The disc drive is working properly reading any inserted discs,  but I just can't copy to any discs.  Have I inadvertenly changed or deleted something that I shouldn't without realising it ?  I have checked for driver updates and there doesn't appear to be any.  I am still using XP.
Thanks Nick  Sad
19 REPLIES 19
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Help!! Unable to copy any files to disc.

Exactly what sort of drive are we talking about here (floppy/CD/DVD/external hard drive etc.)?
lavengro
Dabbler

Sorry I did not make myself very clear.  It is an integrated cd /dvd hard disc drive on a desktop, Dell Dimension 5150 which is about 4 years old now.  is that any help ? Undecided
Nick
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Which type of disc are you, or have you tried, using.
Which software are you using to write to the disc
lavengro
Dabbler

Thanks Jim.
I have tried all sorts of different CD-R's and DVD-R's.  As you will probably gather I don't use it much, only saving files and photos occassionally.  The information I have is that it is a HL-DT-ST-DVD+RW  GWA 416B.  Windows Media Player is what I normally use for watching any films on DVD's or viewing photos on CD's.  Normally I haven't had any trouble when I have wanted to copy anything to a CD-R or DVD-R.  I just click the files and folders I want to copy in the normal way and choose copy to drive ' D ' which is the CD/DVD drive and windows does it.  Not sure why ' D ' should not be accessible any more, unless somehow I have altered something recently by mistake. 
Any Help ?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What version of Windows are you using?
OOops....sorry missed that last bit ! !  Roll_eyes
(thanks jim !.)
Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have no idea what you may or indeed may not have done but can you install Infrarecorder and see if you can write to the drive with that
Edit - Shutter should have read the first post
shutter
Community Veteran

Have you checked the "Device status"... control panel > Device manager >DVD/CD Rom drives... to see if there is a yellow warning exclamation mark?
You could try the following ....
If you are using a desktop.... shut down, power off, and take out the plugs on the disk drive.... power up, boot up. and then shut down,.... power off, then replace the plugs, and power up , boot up, and hopefully see the DVD drive... then try to "write" to a disc....
if on a laptop, similar, but remove the drive, (usually a couple of small philips head screws and just pull it out. the re-install it... as above...
lavengro
Dabbler

Thanks Jim,
I will have a go at that and see if that helps.  Shutter : I have XP with the latest Service Pack that was available for XP and always keep Windows updates turned on.
I don't usuallly change setting in the add or remove programme files etc. on my computer incase I do upset it !!  However,  I did remove a programme some time ago that was ACD viewer or something similar, but I am sure that I was able to write to disc after that !!  I do remember though, that removing it,  did upset some things.  When I came to view attatched photo files in Outlook Express it couldn't find a programme to open them with.  Perhapes I have upset the programme file associations or something.  How does one sort that out ? Embarrassed
Nick
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: lavengro
GWA 416B. 

If you open up My Computer what does it show up as, e.g. just a CD drive or something else?
I have seen XP systems where they just won't recognise the drive correctly and it's not obvious if the drive is faulty or XP misbehaving. Usually the simple solution is to install a 2nd drive, they're less than £20 each.
shutter
Community Veteran

I used to have ACDSEE as a pic viewer, which was quite good, but I then found Irfanview, which is free, and much more versatile for "messing up " your  pics, if yo do that sort of thing, but is very useful for lots more as well... you can even play video with it.! ! ! ..
go to .....
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
download and install it... then go back to same page, and click on the fourth one down,.... Download Irfanview plugins.... download that , and then install it...
any more advice on that and I have a "noddy`s guide" on how to use it... easy peasy !
I don`t think uninstalling ACDsee would have made your CD not write.... that is why I suggested doing the "Unplug" bit.... just to see if the computer will recognise it and install it after you have unplugged it...
lavengro
Dabbler

Thanks Shutter and HPsauce.  I have checked The Device Manager and it says it is working ok.  In MY Computer it is recognised as a DVD-RW ROM
Not sure about the unplug idea, as it means opening up the computer to unplug the drive !!  I could give it a try though.  I'm always a bit reluctant to start taking it apart !!  I did try starting it in Safe Mode and it still wouldn't write !!  I will download "irfanview" as you suggest.  If I do have to get a second drive as you say it is " not the end of the world " !!  Just hoping for a quick solution !!  Undecided
Nick
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If available, you could try a System Restore back to when it was known to be working.
lavengro
Dabbler

I really can't remember quite how long ago I experienced difficulties with writing to CD.  I tend to give up and just leave things and only recently really needed to write to disc.    If I do a system restore right back to some months ago,  will I loose all the updates to things like Windows and my Spyware Doctor ?  Sorry to be so ignorant but I haven't had to use system restore much in the past !!  I did consider doing this but but wondered what other problems it might cause !!
Nick
magnetism2772
Grafter

if you can pause your computer at the beginning of it  booting up
by pressing the ESC (i think its this keyboard key) and enter the computer BIOS
locate your drives tab there  and check the disk  is recognized and shows up as still being a connected as a part of your computer in the BIOS
if it does , check in  windows control panel  for system
enter  the system and click on your DVD drive for info
perhaps the IDE connection cable is loose or the pins are a little dirty
if its just the CD or DVD recognition and  you  just cant burn with your  writer but windows  finds the drive
it  looks like your infra red burner diode inside the burner is not working