Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Save me......

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Help! Save me......

Or rather save my 3 page document on Open Office Writer. (Using LINUX MINT 19.1 )

I am in the throes of completing a 3 or 4 page document on Open Office Writer... and decided it was about time I "saved as...."  so clicked "File" then "Save as "   but the whole page seems to have "locked up"... I cannot scroll the pages up  or down...none of the tools are active, and the - + and X have disappeared from the top right corner... I can "move" the page to one side, and I can "shrink" the page sideways... but cannot save the page(s)..

Any thoughts.... Huh 

If I "force quit"... will the document be "saved as draft"  ? ?  or will it disappear altogether... ( I do hope not )...

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Help! Save me......

Think you'll just have to risk; in many word processing programmes you can set the program
to AUTO SAVE every so many minutes. If you've enabled, you should at least some of toil saved Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

@Gel 

Hmm... thanks for the confident reply ! ! ! ! ..... can`t remember actually doing any "settings" when I put Open Office on this laptop... so  I`m not very confident that it will be saved... but.... you never know until you try....cheers

shutter
Community Veteran

Just tried a "right click" menu  X Close... but nothing happened when I did that.... looks like it is permanently locked, until I shut down the laptop....

I did try a "new" document.... and tried to close that with the X... it did report that it could be saved before closing. 

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

OK.... bit the bullet..... did a "force quit"... and it showed a message saying any unsaved info may be lost... but did it anyway !.

it closed three open office documents ... so I found an "unsaved" document in my document folders, and tried to Open that... instead.. I was presented with a "recovery" window.... and it had the "Untitled document 1" in the list, with the other two aforementioned..  so clicked on the "untitled document 1 for recovery.... it "recovered" successfully,  NEXT and it "opened" it ... so all is well that ends well... 

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

It probably creates temp files as it goes along. I don't know Linux or Open Office, but if you can find the temp files and make copies you might recover the text.

It's also possible that OO will go through an auto recover process if it starts up and finds undeleted temp files. Word does.

Sorry you got there first.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Rebooting will clear your /tmp directory - where most temporary files are kept...

I don't know where Open Office keeps its temporary files as I use Libre Office.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   ay up foxy 1.... read the message number 5 of 7 .....Huh

yours is number seven ! ! ... Cheesy

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Sorry - didn't see that. 😴