cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I need a ADSL Router that meets the following spec...

Username
Grafter

Help! I need a ADSL Router that meets the following spec...

Metal cased - ideally with 19" rack mount ears, or the option to add them
Integral PSU - no plug top or inline transformer
No integral WiFi
and finally not Cisco!

Anyone out there got any recommendations or suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10
Username
Grafter

Re: Help! I need a ADSL Router that meets the following spec...

Anyone?
Denzil
Grafter

Doing a search for rackmount ADSL routers gives Cisco, Cisco, Cisco, Cisco, and, err, Cisco. Why the restrictions anyway? You could put a normal router on a rackmount shelf.
Lurker
Grafter

I have a couple of old 1U switches that are fairly poorly - I might make a project to pull apart an ADSL modem and Frankenstein it into one of the Chassis.
The extra fan cooling would be handy, and I can probably re-use the PSU - just need to make a new front panel and move the LEDs to it.
Hmmm....
Xmas project?
Username
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, I agree all I could find was Cisco!
These are needed for a "industrial" remote installation, I'm only quoting what the client wants!
Metal cased to assist with heat disipation.
Integral transformer to allow direct connection to UPS
No Wifi - Purely a cabled installation, but I guess we could purswade them to simply have this disabled.
Not Cisco - clients policy!

@ James_G - Yep we've had similar thoughts, but then the issues of Warranty and dare I say CE Complience are rasied!  Roll_eyes
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are in to a bit of home customisation to meet their requirements may I suggest it goes no further than making a sticky label. Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulby
Grafter

Draytek do a rackmount kit for their 2820 routers (which have a non-wireless version) - see here under the accessories tab.
It does use a power brick with an integral 13A plug though but you could do what we do - buy a suitable mains transformer (2820 needs 15V) with an IEC mains inlet and the appropriate output voltage and connector to replace the supplied power supply and fit it to the rack kit (you may have to drill holes and use tie wraps to mount the transformer) e.g. this sort of thing from Maplin.
jnwright
Grafter

The Allied Telesis AT-AR440S comes with a rack mount kit and has an integral power supply, metal case, etc.  Expensive - one didn't make reserve price on ebay recently.  A lot of information if you go here and select Routers and AT-AR440S.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@jmwright, Never thought of Allied Telesis...
@Username,We've used quite a few of their switches in systems we've supplied to clients. Mainly for the same reasons as you, integral PSU and rackmount. This is the distributor we use http://www.micro-p.com/products//NETWORKING/NETWORK-ROUTERS/ADSL-ROUTER/ALLIED/ALLIED-Routers-ADSL-R...
I can't believe the price is £575, I've got a MicroP trade catalogue, if I remember when I get into the office tomorrow I'll look for the price and let you know! Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@username
Ok , well the SRP is £654!!! , the catalogue doesn't give a trade price for the AR440 ( obviously not a high volume unit ) but based on the SRP to Trade price ratio for other items it's likely to be about  £370.
Hope that helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Username
Grafter

Thanks guys - very helpfull - we'll speak to out account manager at micro-p and see what they can come up with...