cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I'm extending wireless range

Rikaitch
Grafter

Help! I'm extending wireless range

I have to extend wireless range for someone, and have got me 4 x Netgear WG602 (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/46057) and 4 x Cisco long range aerials (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/29589). In an ideal world I'd like to spread these 4 points across the site (about 3/4 mile wide) and they all just repeat the wireless signal, but I can't get them to work. Speaking to Netgear for 5 hours, one told me I'd need a netgear router, another said it won't work, a third said I needed WDS (whatever that is). I can plug one into the bog standard thomson router if I need to, but I'd prefer not to have to. Anyone got any advice or shortcuts?
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Help! I'm extending wireless range

Are you trying to do this without running any cables?
(not a good idea in my view)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Assuming you ARE trying to use WDS , here is a useful post http://www.diywireless.com/tutorials/wds.html on setting up the WG602. You will have to connect the first one to the Thomson router via cable and probably disable the wireless on the Thomson ( to stop it interfering ).
As HPSauce says , WDS has its problems... Huh
You will reduce the throughput on the wireless drastically ( especially with 4 AP's ) . Each pair of AP's will reduce the throughput by 50%!!
WDS doesnt work very well ( if at all! ) between different manufacturers kit. Hence wire the first AP to the Thomson and disable its wireless.
I've had SOME success with WDS using Buffalo AP's but flashed with DD-WRT software ( better WDS support). You might wan't to check out DD-WRT for the WG602.
Good luck , you'll need it! Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

Don't believe you can do it with the WG602. Go here how to setup up wireless repeater with WG602 and WG302. To achieve what you want to do you will need 4 WG302. You may have to do some playing around with multipoint bridging either on the 602 or 302 or combination of both.
itsme
Grafter

My other suggestions is the same as MisterW and use DD-WRT firmware. I have been using this firmware for over a year on a Linksys router with no problems and I belive there is an easy way to join wireless networks by going to the wireless tab within the Status. Then there is an option to do a site survey. This will list all the wireless devices AP points with an option to Join, this should most of the configuration for you, I believe.
Rikaitch
Grafter

Ok, so today's the day I try to get everything working. The site is spread across a hillside in the mountains of South Wales, and so wired connections are not an option. The connection speed is going to be poor, but high bandwidth sites like youtube will be disabled. The users will be able to check emails and do basic surfing, but that'll be it.
I don't know what the DD-WRT is, but it sounds like that's what I want, so I shall look into it. Thanks guys for all your help, it's been invaluable.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I don't know what the DD-WRT is

DD-WRT is an alternative GPL firmware for many routers. Try here http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rikaitch
Grafter

Ok, so a status update. I have got all 4 WG602s installed with DD WRT successfully, and the aerials are doing their job, just not to the range I'd like (about half of it). The problem is now that they work for a week or two, then die. When I say die, I try to log onto one, and get limited or no connectivity. I full reset the router and re enter all the details to make it work, then all is ok again. Then another one goes. It seems to be like nailing jelly to a wall. Can anyone save my sanity? Huh