cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help For A Friend In Need(SOLVED)

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Help For A Friend In Need(SOLVED)

I have a dear friend who is with talk talk,for a while now she has been having extreme difficulty with downloading and even web browsing,ive checked her pc out and faffed around with the router and im called upon again this saturday to double check a few things.
I managed to get her to run a bt speedtest and to be quite frank im surprised she even managed to run it,Her router is synching at 8128 down and 448 up,her ip profile is 7150k.
However her download result came back as ZERO down, Yes thats ZERO. Anyone here able to help me understand what the problem is so that i can try help her through this,ive asked her to ring talk talk and explain whats happening,I cant fill her head with technical jargon as she is old and anything i say just goes over the poor souls head.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Help For A Friend In Need

I would suggest trying a different pc on the line, if you have a laptop to test with. If not then run a virus scanner (preferably from a cd using one of the ones from portable apps) to verify it isn't a virus stopping it. But if they have a 8Mb connection but can't download anyting... how are they connected to the router (or is it a modem? TT used to supply usb modems) try a different router if you have a spare.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi there hairy biker,yes i am going to try my girlfriends pc on her line on saturday as a last resort and see what happens,she is hardwired into a router but i cant remember the make of it,it took her all day nearly to download something small like ccleaner and also it took ten min just for the btspeedtest page to load up on her pc,the pc she is using is my old one as her one was just totally passed it and completely filled up with heaps of junk.
I did clean my pc thoroughly on giving it to her and she was happy and suprised at how fast she could go through things on the pc aswell as how fast the start up time was and is.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

TT do throttle people on their side too, might be worth you speaking to them on her behalf?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I had thought of this adiewoo but would they also throttle her browsing? if this is the case that is some serious throttling,ive tried finding talk talks throttling techniques but to no avail,she cant even do a simple task as log onto her e-mail,Its starting to upset her now and we did persuade her to move to plusnet BUT they have her phone line locked into a 18 month contract Angry
Ive concluded that theres no point in moving as long as they are in charge of the phone line,good advice?
Ive also stated to her after we got this test done last night that if its a problem with her line then there would be no point in moving at this moment in time because the problem would follow her,also i dont see the point in moving anyway after i found out shes locked to an 18 month contract as her telephone provider?
This part of her result id like to question aswell  Download speedachieved during the test was - 0 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps
So if its not her equipment and its a line fault should she be paying for broadband thats clearly unusable or acceptable?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Unless she is tied to an 18month BB & phone contract then there is no problem moving the BB to +net (e.g. I use BT for my LL) If as you say the line is syncing at 8Mb then there is something wrong somewhere. Now if you have changed the pc and it is connected to a router try changing the Ethernet cable in case it is faulty. Or a different socket on the router, maybe a full reset of the router?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thanks hairy biker,ive changed the ethernet and it did not help any,have not done a router reset so will give that a go on saturday, Yes its just her phone thats locked in contract with talk talk as far as im aware.
She has a laptop so im in the middle of getting her to do another test via the laptop to see if theres any change.
Update... managed to get her speeds back to normal by using a new router, She is happily surfing once again and luckily i dont have to go through loads of carry-on trying to find out what the problem was. Thanks to all who helped me.