Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Experts needed

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Help Experts needed

Hi Everyone
I have decided to buy a new computer and have been looking at the available options but i realize i need more expert help as much of what is out there is pretty mind blowing and confusing. However i have found a tower (dont need monitor etc) that seems quite good for the money but i am not sure and so turn to the experts.
It is on Ebay (which may not be a good start) but it can be found at  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-QUAD-CORE-GAMING-DESKTOP-COMPUTER-PC-GEFORCE-9600_W0QQitemZ370210602362Q...; or if that doesnt work the item number is 370210602362. If any one can take the trouble to look i would greatly appreciate any opinions. Many Thanks  Mike
14 REPLIES 14
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Help Experts needed

To give you any really useful guidance it would help if you gave us some indication of what you want to use the new machine for?
Looking at the machine you propose, I guess that you are into serious gaming?
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scootie
Grafter

dosent inclued the OS so if you havent all ready got that you would need to add the price of that on top to.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

I do gaming but not seriously i just want a machine that can cope with most programes and future programes and can do more than one job at a time with a decent graphics card and fast speed is important and can be upgraded not like my Dell which is painfully slow and i cant increase the memory past 512k
StickyMick
Grafter

Well, you don't need all the latest and greatest gear in it. Never yet met anyone who actually NEEDS a quad-core Pentium yet. It's really a case of getting the best you can afford that'll be a good all-rounder.
As for fleabay, I can't comment on that, after 3 bad experiences with dealers on there I don't really bother with the place now. If you're buying brand new, try to avoid the big box shifters if possible, stick to the little shop on the High Street. You'll get a much more impartial service from them than you would from a shirt and tie who's just after the commission for shifting units. And you'll know what's in it because you chose it and you won't get a 3 year warranty that costs as much as the tower itself. Most printed box components come with a standard 3 year warranty anyway, if not more.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I purchased a PC from ebay and got good service from the seller.  Like everything else you have to do your homework before buying.
Be3G
Grafter

Indeed, I sell on eBay and offer what I believe to be very good service, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Investigate a seller's feedback profile before you purchase anything from them and that'll give you a good idea about what to expect.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Now that's interesting as I may be looking for a new PC in a short while.  Can you give me your site please?
Be3G
Grafter

I don't sell PCs – I was just talking from the general point of view of being an eBay seller. Smiley
MauriceC
Resting Legend

If you want a recommendation for a reliable small outlet try  http://www.powerc.com/
I've used them for about 5 years both for a small charity and personal PC's and Monitors. 
Good range of systems Intel & AMD and lots of scope to define your needs.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that Maurice looks a good site.  I will have a closer look later.  Like the idea you can build up a quote on line.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have no idea how they are on price but it might be worth considering http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ as their component prices are very competitive
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the replies i will investigate your suggestions. I assume from the replies that no one actually thinks the machine i listed is a good deal so i will look again Many Thanks Mike
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Just to add my little bit,
I got a computer from the site MauriceC mentions in his post.
15 months later windows failed to load so I contacted them as everything is covered by a 2 year warranty. They arranged collection of the computer the next day (Friday) and it was back with me the following wednesday..... faulty memory chip. Very impressed with the service and the fact you could "build your computer on the web" and a small box kept track of what the cost was based on your selection.
I Have had some good bargains on e-bay but have also had problems so its a gamble and in many cases you are unable to return goods purchased on e-bay !
We are born into history and history is born into us.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Help Experts needed

I must admit I've had good and bad experiences with ebay - to echo others, just check feedback and the item description carefully (the returns policy is usually stated below the postage costs near the bottom of the auction).
Hope that helps,