cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads Up! Major Windows Phishing Scam

zedingrove
Grafter

Heads Up! Major Windows Phishing Scam

Sorry if posted in wrong group was unsure where to put!
Just got off the phone from a guy purporting to be from windows support group/scallion group?
Hour ago got a call from an Indian woman advising me that recently I downloaded a file which has malicious mail/spy-ware after couple of minutes
could not hear woman has it appeared to be a bad connection, so she ended call.
10 minutes later got a call from an Indian guy called Thomas Anderson with a confident voice. Line was crystal clear Just wish his English was.
After intros, informed me that he was phoning me to sort out my windows problem (thought as I was burning a disk would play along).
He asked me if I was near to my computer? "Yep" OK what I need you to do is disable your windows firewall and anti-virus software, "How do I do that"?
Told me to go to control panel, "where is that?" (to cut short made out I knew nothing) so he directed me all the way. (probably thought he was on to a winner).
After had disabled he told me to connect to the internet (at this point dvd burn was only half way). Informed him that a warning window has opened advising me to enable firewall and is asking me to type in which windows I have... So he said ignore warning just type in answer, Said did not know, so guided me to control panel/system after a bit informed him it says windows 32bit and asked is this what I type in.
At this point he was digging his own grave.... He asked me does it not say windows xp/vista/7? "nope!" Then said to him "don't you know what it is called? "just a minute, told me to type in windows xp, then I told him it is asking for which service pack? Told me to type in sp3.
From this point it gets both interesting and worrying... He asked me for my email address and after finding it is a gmail account, informed me that he would need to sync accounts (so that he could securely send me a link to help me out), so asked me for my user-name and password, assuring me that this is windows support group and that I am 100% safe. So at this point I informed him that I worked for Microsoft's Fraud detection and that this call has been traced..... Line went dead.
Does India think we are stupid (must have short memories, we did frack the country up for 200 years)?  Huh

3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Heads Up! Major Windows Phishing Scam

Old news but I am glad you didn't fall for it - I do hope you gave him a duff email address
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Sad but true, old news I used to get about 4+ of these a DAY. after getting fed up of telling them I DON'T USE WINDOWS - I just hang up any international calls these days.
Wish I could afford a call blocker which drops these calls without me having to hang them up.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

1 in 16 rule or 1 born every minute, take your pick
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November