Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headless_Linux_Debian

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Headless_Linux_Debian

As I said I think the directory structure and commands are  slightly different, sometimes I don't touch the boxs for weeks or months and I am at the point now where the important stuff to remember sticks with debian type os's.

Maybe I should just try both arch and ubuntu server. I do hear arch is a bit more bleeding edge when it comes to ported stuff as you have both mentioned.

30FTTC06
Pro

@Anonymous will that run cups/airprint ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're not touching the boxes for weeks or months, then it shouldn't really matter changing up which distro you use. It would be much more hassle if you were using Linux daily. It took me a couple of weeks to completely stop typing sudo apt-get when I switched from Debian to Fedora for example.

Make a cheat sheet of the debian commands you regularly use and their comparable commands of the new distro and package manager. Either keep it in a text file on your machine, or print it out.

Like installing software on Debian would be sudo apt-get install on Fedora it's sudo dnf install and on Arch it's sudo pacman -S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it support cups:

$ pacman -Ss cups
extra/bluez-cups 5.45-1
    CUPS printer backend for Bluetooth printers
extra/cups 2.2.3-1
    The CUPS Printing System - daemon package
extra/cups-filters 1.13.5-1
    OpenPrinting CUPS Filters
extra/cups-pdf 3.0.1-1
    PDF printer for cups
extra/cups-pk-helper 0.2.6-1
    A helper that makes system-config-printer use PolicyKit
extra/libcups 2.2.3-1 [installed]
    The CUPS Printing System - client libraries and headers
extra/python-pycups 1.9.73-3
    Python 3 CUPS Bindings
extra/python2-pycups 1.9.73-3
    Python 2 CUPS Bindings
extra/system-config-printer 1.5.9-2
    A CUPS printer configuration tool and status applet
community/apcupsd 3.14.14-2
    Power mangement and controlling most of APC's UPS models
community/splix 2.0.0-13
    CUPS drivers for SPL (Samsung Printer Language) printers

If you install SaMBa as well you'll be able to print from any device on your network as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@30FTTC06 wrote:

@Anonymous will that run cups/airprint ?

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages

Cups is available. So is avahi, which provides airprint.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi#Airprint_from_Mobile_Devices

30FTTC06
Pro

I think I'm just going to add both to my VM and see what gives. or even chuck Arch on one of rpi's as a learning curve then decide in a week or two what to use. It just seems quite sad having all these boards and not getting all I need out of them.

I'm trying to hold the old first edition board back just incase in might be worth something... I've got 0002 0010 000f.

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

I don't have any experience of Arch on ARM but on Intel I've found it wise to keep an eye on archlinux.org.

System / package upgrades tend to need more in the way of manual intervention than on Debian and its derivatives for example.

30FTTC06
Pro

Anybody know if this is supported by guest additions ?

I've got it running but only 64bit...

Screen.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry @30FTTC06, being a bit thick what is 'this' that you refer to?

30FTTC06
Pro

Virtual machine guest additions... it's ok it scales up to full screen.

@Anonymous how do I do a static ip this then.. I would normally use /etc/network/interfaces

address 192.168...

netmask 192.168.0.

Blah blah blah..

?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been running it for years and I've only ever had to do a manual intervention once in the last 2+ years, in the early days yes it was more common but now with my installs at least I've not encountered it for some considerable time. However, if you ever have PostgreSQL installed and the minor version changes (i.e. it goes from 9.5.x to 9.6.0) then cancel the upgrade and backup your database before proceeding, as sometime a restore using the new version is required.

30FTTC06
Pro

Oh I see it's using Nat // Grin

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been running it for years and I've only ever had to do a manual intervention once in the last 2+ years, in the early days yes it was more common but now with my installs at least I've not encountered it for some considerable time.

The two most recent examples are ca-certificates-utils and OpenVPN in recent months; obviously it depends on what you have installed as to whether it's potentially problematic.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As with all Linux there are many was to skin the proverbial. The easiest option for you would be to refer to this and make a choice from the options. For my own sins I now use static IPs via DHCP with netctl so my config file is:

/etc/netctl/postgresql

Interface=ens32
Connection=ethernet
IP=dhcp

However if you want to wire it yourself then from memory :

Interface=ens32
Connection=ethernet
IP=static Address=('192.168.0.128/24') Gateway=('192.168.0.1') DNS=('192.168.0.7') blah blah

@30FTTC06 Just checked and edit made to manual file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope fair point @TheRoadCrew I remember the CA-Certs one from about a month ago, and I don't use OpenVPN as mine are implemented directly in the router.