Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headless_Linux_Debian

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Headless_Linux_Debian

I'm looking for a Basic Distro server/headless just to sit for testing stuff, I like Ubuntu/Debian because thats what I learned on so it just makes more sense for me to remember 1 set of commands across the Distros I use like Linux Mint and Rasbian Jessie Lite etc, But the rpi is Arm based and dosen't run a good portion of stuff well and in some cases just not all all. OpenBSD is great but again it's frustraiting command wise from a terminal point of view. I just want something very basic out the box like Rasbian Jessie Lite with a bit more oomph!

So with that said, can anybody suggest a solution please.

53 REPLIES 53
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Headless_Linux_Debian

Ubuntu Server or Debian minimal would seem the obvious choices

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 6 Node Pi Cluster running Arch Linux and as it's Linux there no real difference on the CLI either. It uses pacman for maintenance and a :

sudo pacman -Syu

Does a full system upgrade (including kernel rebuild if provided). So it might be worth a look and the Wiki is great with everything you need to know if you're needing help on a topic.

30FTTC06
Pro

I'll have a look at that thanks.

I've only got a dual-core pentium cpu 2gb with 3gb ram and mdmwebkit is skewing some of my results by uing 50/80% cpu. I guess I could disable xserver etc... but then I would need to strip out all the other stuff not needed as well.

I was using Ubuntu desktop a while back but I was put off by all the data gathering nonsense, but I guess the server version doesn't have any of that.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Raspbian on a Pi runs perfectly OK - provided that you don't start a GUI.

I find that ssh works fine provided you don't start X. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

30FTTC06
Pro

@Anonymous  the directory structure isn't the same as far as I am aware ?

30FTTC06
Pro

@VileReynard Did you even read my post ?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Yes - perhaps I misunderstood the problem?

A 2GB PC would have no trouble running a Pi.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

30FTTC06
Pro

Rasbian Jessie Lite Is headless

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not entirely sure what you're asking... When you say you want more oomph. Are you talking about the Pi needing more grunt, or the distro you're using need more pre-packaged software or something? Or are you trying to build your own packages on a Pentium system (which you mentioned in the other post) and it needs more grunt?
30FTTC06
Pro

What I am saying is I have an Rpi B 1st edition 256k - rpi B 512k and a B+  Yes they run headless but try running netperf as an example using apt-get. I have had a lot of programs in the past just not work with arm. So I need to build something that just sits in the corner intel based that will do a better job with the printer when called to for example.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you enabled all the repos for stuff that is contributed and non-free in the sources.list file?

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

If you don't add contributed and non-free, it provides only what the default Debian repositories will hold. And it's possible that netperf hasn't been ported over yet.

In fact; a search for netperf: https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=arm&keywords=netperf shows that it's not found on arm.

But it is found in arm64: https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=arm64&keywords=netperf in the "non-free" repo.

It's also in armel: https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=armel&keywords=netperf non-free.

And armhf: https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=armhf&keywords=netperf non-free.

30FTTC06
Pro

Yeah it's just one example, I guess I'll try the Ubuntu server on this old pentium pc, I'm not in favour of buying a 64 bit rpi 3 as I've already got 3...

Anonymous
Not applicable

The bigger distros will have more ported software. Simply because of either more users or an automated system of porting packages over.

@Anonymous 's option to switch to the arm version of Arch is probably the best.

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages

Even that has netperf on original arm. Whereas if you search Ubuntu packages, they only have it for "amd64 arm64 armhf i386 powerpc ppc64el" on 16.10.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A basic Arch install is anorexic when it come to weight and of course runs on Intel or Arm, your tools can be found using :

$ sudo pacman -Ss netperf
community/netperf 2.7.0-2
    Benchmarking tool for many different types of networking

Then installed using :

sudo pacman -S netperf

As for the file system, it may be slightly different but I wouldn't have thought to the extent of making it unusable.

I have various Arch installs, one running PostgreSQL and another used for software building via the CLI as I edit the code on the Mac. The PostgreSQL server can handle my 24 SQL updates every .25 of a second and it accrues 1.09% load factor while doing it! 

Granted the hardware's a lot to do with it but still, if it's grunt you're after...