If so has it worked successfully
Or
Have their been any difficulties, problems etc
4 REPLIES 4
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Have your firm converted to open source office programs

I tried open office in 2001 I think.. it was ok back then but not great if i'm honest. Sure it did what I wanted but didn't save in the same format as MS Office properly - stupid little things would not work / display the same on an office powered machine. I've not bothered again since although I'm sure in the last 10 years they'd no doubt have made vast improvements.
I'm personally still using MS Office 2003  Roll_eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

From a functional point of view,  the Open/Libre Office suites are very capable and largely compatible with their MS equivalents. 
However, some of the more advanced/obscure features may not work, especially from the latest MS versions.
If you've got very tailored templates which utilise VB Script and macros, you'll have a lot of work to do to convert them.
How well it works depends on what you do with the office tools, what formats you want to use (doc vs ODF etc) and who else you need to interact with.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: TORPC
Kingsoft Office

Not open source. I think the free version is not for business use.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I use Libre Office to open Microsoft Office files that our (older) Microsoft Office will not open (even with the 'compatibility pack' installed).
We have one PC out of 4 running only Libre Office and Mozilla Thunderbird instead of MS Office, it works very well.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.