cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have just bought a Chie Netbook and can't get online.

stevewain

Have just bought a Chie Netbook and can't get online.

This chie netbook operates on windows CE, if I go to internet options I can find the setup section and set it to my BT router, it tells me that it has found it and is a good reception  etc.
The problem is that when I try to get online I can't as it doesn't give me an option to input  my security key? any idea's
6 REPLIES 6
Njal
Grafter

Re: Have just bought a Chie Netbook and can't get online.

I have no personal experience, but it says here:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/574453/99-netbook-blaze
"they also have built in WiFi although it only suports 64bit WEP so might have problems connecting to 128bit WEP keys that some new ISPs are using meaning you just need to change the security settings on the router."
which might give some pointers.
Regards,
Neil
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my Asus was like that when I first got it, WEP only but after about 3 months they did a Bios upgarade, now got WPA ok
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

As has been said above , it looks like the chie netbook can only support 64 bit WEP encryption. If you are using a PlusNet supplied TG585v7 router it will default to using WPA encryption. To use the netbook with it you will need to change the routers encryption to 64 bit WEP and choose a security key, see section 4 of the user manual. You should then be able to enter this security key somewhere on the netbook wireless configuration. If you are currently using any other PC's to communicate with your router they will need to have their wireless connection setup again after you change to WEP encryption.
Be aware though that 64 bit WEP is not very secure and is pretty easily hacked.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

or use an ethernet cable like I did
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

or use an ethernet cable like I did

It rather defeats the idea of a nice light, portable machine though, pierre, if you have to have an ethernet cable trailing around with it. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

true but in my case I had five other machines on WPA, now have six all on WPA