cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I got integrated wireless?

Tsonga
Grafter

Have I got integrated wireless?

This will sound very silly, but basically I am not sure whether I have integrated wireless or not. I have a Dell Inspiron 5160, which I discovered by searching Google a while ago, has integrated 802.11a, b, and/or g wireless. I have now received my Voyager 2091 wireless router and I would like to get started, but can't find anything about wifi on my laptop. I have looked for support from Dell but they don't want to know me as my warranty has expired. Do you have any clue, or could you point me to a good quality forum which can help with this specific query? Cheers!
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Have I got integrated wireless?

You are in a very good quality forum and I'm sure someone will answer you shortly.
Meanwhile, what operating system is the laptop running?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks!  Cheesy
The OS is Windows XP.
Not applicable

If it has wireless, its possible that its enabled by a hardware switch on the outside edge of the notebook.
I'll have to check for that specific model, but on the machines here there is a three position switch.
0=Off
1=On
2=Search
The switch will only rest in position 0 or 1, but when pushed to 2 and released, it should launch a program to help you get connected.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Try going to the dell support site
and input your system tag .
That should tell you what the configuration of your laptop is  and give access to the relavent documents.
There appears to be some links from there to help setting up wireless.
If yoiu still have problems then post back and we will try to help some more.
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Fixed oversized link]

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: James_H
If it has wireless, its possible that its enabled by a hardware switch on the outside edge of the notebook.

Look here
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Tsonga
Grafter

Thank you very much. Both suggestions were very helpful. It turns out I do not have a wireless adapter!
Will get hold of one tomorrow. My brother tells me that it would be much better to use WPA than WEP. However, I do not see on the Voyager 2091 Configuration Manager page where I can set up a WPA code. Is this not possible with my router, or am I not looking in the right place?
Thanks again!  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I understand that the 2091 does support WPA although I have no direct experience of setting it up.
A quick google gave this link http://www.pcrepair4glasgow.co.uk/install_2091_page5.htm which you should find useful. Read the section on 'securing your network', it describes how to set up the various options , including WPA

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tsonga
Grafter

Well that's fantastic! Thank you very much for the link!  Smiley
Tsonga
Grafter

All sorted! Thanks again for the excellent support!
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: BlueRhizome
This will sound very silly, but basically I am not sure whether I have integrated wireless or not. I have a Dell Inspiron 5160,

Did you know the dell 5160 had its warranty extended becuase of problems with over heating. I burned my leg badly when I fell a sleep in bed with it left on.
Dell swapped mine out 1 month before its 3 year warranty would have ended and replaced it with a dell inspiron 1501
So be careful and if it is getting hot contact dell who may replace/repair it free of charge
Still would buy a dell who else would offer that level of service
Just replaced my desktop 9150 with an dell xps420.  I always pay for 3 year on site warranty
puddy
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
I burned my leg badly when I fell a sleep in bed with it left on.

That sounds horrible, sorry to hear that!
I probably did not pay for extended warranty as it's not my type. And as I have very little memory I don't know. And as I am incredibly disorganised, I will never find any documentation relating to my current computers...  Wink
Fortunately, I have not noticed that particular problem with mine, although I am sure there is something not quite right with the fan, as it is often quite noisy. The computer did overheat once (a long long time ago) when I was at the library, making a huge amount of noise (which was very embarrassing), and shutting down. Later, I very boldly opened it and had a look inside, then decided that I couldn't do anything about it, put it back together, and it has worked perfectly well ever since!  Grin
I usually use it on a hard surface like a desk...
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

To help with ventilation underneath a laptop I have made myself a collapsible support from a couple of bits of "scrap wood" in the shed..... Without going into great detail it raises the "back end" under the screen hinge, and while the principle idea is to give more "cool clear air" space under the fan intake, it has the added advantage of making the keyboard more "user friendly" by giving it a more "natural" slope....
Use a piece of wood the width of the laptop about 1.5 inches square, and just lodge it underneath.  If you travel a lot, and take the laptop, it easily slips into the bag, and people say," that`s a good idea" when you sit in the motorway service station doing your thing! ! !

By the way, if you ever need the "SYSTEM TAG" mentioned earlier, it is on the label on the bottom of the dell laptop..... even if you are out of warranty, that system tag will give you access to all the hardware fitted, and all the software that was originally supplied, so you can virtually re-build  from a new HDD with all the correct drivers for the motherboard....
Tsonga
Grafter

Very impressive!
My service tag underneath the laptop is erased now, but it is also possible to find it by going into Start / Help and Support / Computer Information.
Not applicable

Its also stored in the BIOS too if you ever need it.
They keep data for an impressive length of time too - still recognises machines bought in 1999. Shocked