cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware tests

clockley
Grafter

Hardware tests

Can someone recommend a site where I can check the state of my HD and RAM?  My PC keeps rebooting and I think that it is related to the RAM or the hard drive, which has started clicking every so often.
Thanks in advance....
Carl
3 REPLIES 3
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Hardware tests

http://www.memtest.org/ ; - MemTest86 will seriously stress your memory, which is a good test to do.
Alternatively, SiSoft Sandra has a 'Burn In' stress tool which you can set to run which could highlight issues with any other components that you have.
Clicking hard drives are *very bad news* Smiley
B.
mystery
Grafter

Hi Carl,
I just wondered if you have any Norton security programmes on your computer, such as virus or firewall etc.  It does sound like something similar to what was happening to me before I ditched Norton for good.
I didn't realise until I got rid of Norton just how many problems it was creating on my computer. Since swapping to Nod32 I have regained full use of my computer without any problems and everything is also much faster. 
clockley
Grafter

Norton? Hell no!
AVG all the way, same sort of thing, Norton caused so many problems I would have gone without AV if there was no alternative.
Reinstalled XP SP2, and although running slightly better, the clicking is still there occasionally.  Big backup coming up tomorrow, and I shall take it from there.  Thanks everyone, you have all been very helpful.