Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware suggestion wanted

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Hardware suggestion wanted

For back-packing for a couple of months later this year, (trains, boats, buses) not camping.
Requirement is email, web-surfing, WiFi, storage (photos, documents, music, movies), maybe out of mobile range for extended periods, so ‘cloud’ is only a partial option, good battery life, light-weight. Ideally PC compatable but not essential.
Was looking at something like http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/emachines-355-netbook-black-10671507-pdt.html
Or should I be suggestion something different? Any ideas would be welcome?
3 REPLIES 3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Hardware suggestion wanted

I use three netbooks, one win 7, one XP and one LINUX,
no problem with any, the more recent have a decent battery life and and Win 7 I think a 140G hard drive.
need a good padded bag
I use a 3 mobile Router MiFi (the last one not the current) had no trougble in the York moors, coverage is fair. BUT what do you do outside mobile range.
Most recent places I have stayed had WiFi Cardigan, Gateshead, although they didnt two years ago
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The alternative to a Netbook is a Tablet; although that would probably be more expensive.
For back-packing, I wonder if it would be worth investing in a Solid State (Hard) Drive on the basis that that would be more robust than a conventional electro-mechanical hard drive?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I also use a netbook (not as much as I did admittedly) with a 3G dongle. Always had good coverage (unless on the rare occassion 3 have any tech glitches) and I've been very pleased with it.
I would of moved to a permanent 3G connection ages ago but the OH prefers a landline connection for skype etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!