cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware configuration advice needed

rubyrose

Hardware configuration advice needed

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. Having recently moved back home, I've been trying to figure out the best configuration of my parents' internet setup for optimal speed.

They're on Plusnet's ADSL, and have been using the Plusnet Technicolor modem/router in conjunction with a DrayTek Vigor2860n. The Technicolor is receiving the DSL connection from the wall, and then is connected via ethernet to the DrayTek. There's quite an extensive LAN network here, all connected from the DrayTek, and two wifi extenders (also DrayTek) further up the house.

However, we're stuck at around 4Mbps download.

I have tried removing the Technicolor completely from the set up, and just connecting the DSL to the DrayTek, but the speed seems to have settled around the same, if not worse (which I suspect will be because it's a single band router, but wanted to try anyway).

I have now purchased a separate TPLink TD-W9970 modem/router, and am looking for advice on the best configuration there would be under these circumstances. Would replacing the Technicolor with the TPLink, and setting that to bridge mode be of any help, or is there a better way?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Hardware configuration advice needed

Firstly test your internet speeds with something like the uswitch broadband speed checker.
Use a pc or laptop connected to the plusnet router via ethernet.
Find out what the connection is capable of.
For example if you are on plain vanilla ADSL then 4 to 6 meg is all you'll get !!
🙂
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

You need to have a look here. That'll tell you immediately whether 4Mb is what you'll ever get or not. After all, if 4Mb is what comes down the line, nothing on earth i.e. playing around with internal wiring or equipment, is going to get you more Mb's. The only thing that might get you more Mb's  is an upgrade to fibre & then that is assuming you're not miles from the cabinet.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
rubyrose

Thanks for your replies. So, on the speed checker it looks like we're getting around 11Mb from the connection. Any ideas on how to translate this into reality? Smiley

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro

Well .... start checking all the individual locations that ethernet is used to see whats happening. You have sevetal router/switches? Check them.
Test each cable to see if they are all ok and the correct spec (cat 5e or cat 6).
One damaged cable could be the cylprit.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's unlikely - but if you are using a laptop, it could be plugged into the switches/routers to do a speed test.

If you've got any wifi "extenders" that use wifi to extend an access point, they would be the most likely culprits.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@rubyrose  

@rubyrose wrote:

Thanks for your replies. So, on the speed checker it looks like we're getting around 11Mb from the connection. Any ideas on how to translate this into reality? Smiley

The reality is probably..... that the speed number you are seeing on that page is the "maximum" ADSL speed...

or ,... as the advertising used to say.... " UP TO.... 11Mb..."

Where I am.... I, too, "could" get 11Mb..(.according to similar sites showing what is available in the area...)  but the reality is, that the best I have seen, is just over 6Mb.. on a standard ADSL BT telephone copper wire..( with the "green box" at the end of the road, less than 100 mtrs from me).. but I am about 4 miles from the actual exchange...

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

ADSL speeds are over copper - all the way to the exchange.

Fibre speeds are only over copper as far as the green box - the bit to the exchange is over actual fibre.

I used to get 5-6Mb/sec on ADSL - but now get around 67Mb/sec on fibre.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rubyrose

Thanks for all the comments - I think right now what I'm going to have to do to get my work done is connect via ethernet then, but I'll need to get round to checking the individual connection points too I suppose. I would love to be able to upgrade to fibre, but unfortunately the way their house was built means it's impossible to get the cables in! 😅 Trying to do the best with what we have...

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro

An upgrade to FTTC ("C" means street cabinet) uses the existing copper wires that enter your premesis. No new cable is required.