cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard drive life and warranties....

kmilburn
Grafter

Hard drive life and warranties....

I don't know how they manage it,  but it appears hard drive manufacturers have figured out how longer their hard drives will last...
In Sept 2006 I bought two segate drives (with a 3 year warranty),  this week,  one has failed completely, and the other is having an increasing problem with bad sectors.
I have been reminded of a few important lessons, primary one being,  remember to do backups regularly.
Using RAID (1 or 5) can can help in preventing loss of data if you haven't backed up  (it saved my posterior this time).
When using RAID, don't use two disks of the same type otherwise there's a good chance they may fail at the same time.
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Hard drive life and warranties....

You're probably right but I'm sure that identical disks always used to be recomended for RAID.
There's no real substitute for proper backups (except for data loss of course).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I remember some drives used to have lifetime warranties and they actually seemed to last that - a lifetime!
I did know one person send one back once - he bought it 2nd hand. I can only assume he 'lost' the receipt or something. Modern drives are definitely not as reliable I'm afraid. I've had several fail or become unreliable as windows drives. They're now used (if at all) as back up drives.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Backing up on a drive you suspect is unreliable??????  Shocked
Sorry, couldn't help that.
Modern drives are generally faster and higher data density, I guess reliability is a pay-off.
So many things 'just aint built like they used to be' these days, I guess we shouldn't complain too much about hard drives though as we can now purchase huge capacities for so little so a backup drive in now more affordable.
If an external drive is used only for backup (not left plugged in and powered except when needed), do you think it'll last longer as it is clocking up very few hours of running time? (Offset by  the increased chance of dropping it of course.)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
kmilburn
Grafter

If an external drive is used only for backup (not left plugged in and powered except when needed), do you think it'll last longer as it is clocking up very few hours of running time? (Offset by  the increased chance of dropping it of course.)

In theory, it should last longer..
One of the utilities I've got tells me that my current drive (the one that's not dead yet) has been powered on for 26098 hours ( 2 years, 354 days, 10 hours),  with 241 power cycles.
Where my external drive (bought at the same time for backup purposes) has been powered on for 138 hours, with 74 power cycles.
At that rate, I'd hope the external drive would keep working for some time yet.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: walker23
Backing up on a drive you suspect is unreliable??????  Shocked

Well I'd happily back up onto another more reliable drive if I had the money.
I only use the dodgy drive as a backup purely because I know I won't use it much and so the demand on the drives hardware is far less than my main drives.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Quote from: kmilburn
I don't know how they manage it,   but it appears hard drive manufacturers have figured out how longer their hard drives will last...

Of course they know. They design the "average" life into the drives. Better engineered design/components =Longer life but also = Higher cost
10,000rpm SCSI sever drives come with longer warranties, but at a much higher cost.
I bought two Seagate 74G SCSI drives second hand off E-bay last year for £20/each. One failed within days, the other is still going strong with no sign of creeping failure. Both had six months of the original five year warranty left. I simply RMA'd the failing drive back to Seagate and they sent me a refurbished 147G. 
I keep 3 or four very current backups of everything.