cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard drive help

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Hard drive help

it appears that we have snapped a pin off a IDE hard drive.
As usual in these cases there is some important stuff on there that we need.
does anyone know if it is possible to fix these?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
3 REPLIES 3
Njal
Grafter

Re: Hard drive help

This might help:
http://customize.org/groups/topic/10495
Is it a pin that's actually doing anything? A lot of them are Ground pins and the drive might work without the pin.
http://www.bbdsoft.com/ide.html
Regards,
Neil
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Thanks for the replies and PMs my boss (whose fault it was Wink ) and I are looking to see if it's just pushed in.
Think it might be the case as he might have forced it in by putting the IDE cable the wrong way round.
Looks like it is the DDRQ pin that has gone and might explain why it's not spinning up.
Cheers,
Adie
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
samuria
Grafter

I have never know a pin snap off normally they bend and you can get tapered nose pliers or strong tweezers and pull them straight. Normally this works fine.
It it has snapped you could try a needle or pin stick it in the cable were the pin goes maybe a blob of solder on the end and push in carefully if you get it right it should make contact but you would have to get any data off ASAP.
It depends were the pin has snapped if its on the top row if your good at soldering you could solder onto the contact and even put a in. It would be trickily but possible with that row you dont need to undo the drive the other row you would have to undo the drive. All depends on the drive of coarse