cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard drive 90% rule?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Hard drive 90% rule?

I seem to remember some years ago there was much talk that you should always have at least 10% free space to let a hard drive continue working at its optimum.
With drives now available at up to sizes of 4TB is that really necessary these days as it's a sizeable sum to leave unused?
I've actually only got one drive that pretty tight (9.4GB free from 298GB - about 3%) with My Computer displaying the size in red!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

21 REPLIES 21
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hard drive 90% rule?

Quote from: Mav
With drives now available at up to sizes of 4GB is that really necessary these days as it's a sizeable sum to leave unused?

Do you mean 4TB?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav

I think I do Embarrassed
OP edited!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's nothing to do with the hard disk hardware, it's more to do with the filesystem and what it's used for.
The operating system partition will need a reasonable amount of free space. 10% probably isn't really enough. Only 10% free space would lead to a lot of fragmentation if files change a lot, and would make it difficult to defragment.
A partition that just has media files copied onto it can be filled up as much as you like. If you only copy one thing onto it at a time, and the files don't change much, there's not much opportunity for fragmentation.
Mav

Thanks for that.
I did understand the need for enough space for defragmenting but the drive in question is media only and rarely has files deleted.
Eventually I will move them to a larger drive but I needn't worry about it failing purely because it's practically full Smiley
Edit: Just checked and it indicatres this drive is 1% fragmented.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

There's no reason for a drive to 'fail' just because it's practically full, the only 'failure' should be if trying to write a file if there's insufficient space.
Drives containing regularly updated files of any sort do benefit from a reasonable amount of space.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The drive is shown in red because it is practically full.  Windows gives no visual indication for a hard drive that is failing.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

NB the fragmentation only occurs on FS's that are prone to it. Not saying which aren't as Strat will probably accuse me of M$ bashing.  Wink
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If the cap fits....... Wink though you do seem to have a problem with the 'S' key on your keyboard.
Windows has made great improvements in managing disc fragmentation.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav

Quote from: Strat
Windows has made great improvements in managing disc fragmentation.

I'd agree with that.
Since moving to W7 I have never had to defrag any of my drive.

kmilburn
Grafter

That'll be because Windows 7 has a default task scheduled to defrag the disks once a week.
Mav

Nope, that is turned off and has been since installing W7.
Of 12 drives currently connected 5 are showing as 0% fragmented, 3 as 1%, 2 as 2%, 1 as 3% and 1 as 8%. The one at 8% is where most software is installed as well as most temporary files. The SSD is the one at 3%.

CX
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
NB the fragmentation only occurs on FS's that are prone to it. Not saying which aren't as Strat will probably accuse me of M$ bashing.  Wink

Is this quest for low fragmentation really worth the risks that ext4's delayed allocation brings? I've lost more data with ext4 following power loss, thanks to this feature.
I'll stick to Windows' automatic background silent defrag, or a SSD for system drives. It seems to do the job - most Windows 7 systems I've come across have fragmentation levels in the 1% region, even for system drives. Very similar to what you see on ext4 partitions.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Fragmentation is not necessarily a bad thing - it can be positively beneficial.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Mav
I seem to remember some years ago there was much talk that you should always have at least 10% free space to let a hard drive continue working at its optimum.
With drives now available at up to sizes of 4TB is that really necessary these days as it's a sizeable sum to leave unused?

I wouldn't pay too much attention to really. I have a WinXP virtual machine on a very small 4GB virtual drive. On some days it has less than 100MB free space when it's doing stuff and on a good day it only has 700MB free.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!