Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Drive(s) s

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hard Drive(s) s

Just got me a nice new Hannspree 10" mini laptop. with Windows 7 Starter installed  (£130 +£10 p&p).... Been loading up all my favourite programs and then I noticed that I have 2 hard drives listed in "my computer"....
Local Disc (C:) 23.5GB free of 39GB          Data (D:) 103GB free of 104GB
Now all my progs are loaded on C:/ and if I download pics from my camera, or vids, they will also go to C:/  so how can I use D:/ 
Or... can I changed the allocation so that all of the hdd is just C:/  ( If so,.......... how.? and noddy`s guide please  Roll_eyes )
31 REPLIES 31
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Hard Drive(s) s

It should be possible to set the output folder location in whatever software you're using to download the data from your camera.
If you do decide to change partitions, have a look at EaseUS Partition Master, I think there's still a free version available to download.
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

I don`t recall having any choice on where my camera pics go.... They just go to the windows default picture folder. (which is , on C drive !)...
I have had a quick read of the "intro" on the EaseUS partition master, and it looks as though this is something you do, BEFORE you put an OS on ... not, as in my case, after the OS is already on there, ( and by default, all my progs ! ! )...
I do have a "Windows 7 Starter fro Small Notebook PC`s - Recovery DVD-ROM"  ..... not sure if this is good for a "re-install" of W7 Starter, as original.... ( the machine does have the windows code sticker on the base)
If that is an "install disc" then I could easily format the hdd and do a re-install
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

What's the camera software you're using shutter?
That's RPM to you!!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

1. They can't stop you using cut 'n' paste!
2. Can you create symbolic links between directories so that a directory in C points to one in D in the Windows scheme of things?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@RPM...... Just using the windows download ...... plug in the camera and it puts the pics in date order folders in "My Pictures".... ( and deletes them from camera after downloading them )... been using it for years !...
@Foxy....
Short answer  1.. not sure what you mean.... Presumably to move progs and stuff from the small C:/ to the larger part D:/
Shorter answer to 2.,.... No.... don`t know how to !  Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You haven;t got two hard drives, you have one drive split into two partitions.  I can see no value to this so the best thing to do is to remove the D partition.  First make sure it is empty of any of your files.  Then right click Computer and select Manage.  In the window that opens select Disk Management.  Delete the D partition the expand the C partition to fill the available space. 
kmilburn
Grafter

The biggest advantage of splitting the drive is that it allows the OS to be reinstalled while preseving the user data, assuming the system's setup right,  and the recovery tool does'nt want to wipe it.
You can move folders from within the standard user account fairly easily  http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-dri...
Another approach (hinted at by Un renard, c'est le Mal), would be to move the entire user folder to the D drive and the setup a directory symbolic link  to the C drive to keep everything happy.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: kmilburn
The biggest advantage of splitting the drive is that it allows the OS to be reinstalled while preseving the user data, assuming the system's setup right,  and the recovery tool does'nt want to wipe it.

But that's a bit of a gamble unless you are completely sure.
If the camera downloads to the default pictures folder then you can use the libraries feature of Windows 7 to make a folder on the 😧 drive to be that default location.  Unfortunately, this approach does not always work for software written prior to Windows 7.
VileReynard
Hero

By splitting your drive, you keep all your system software close together.
Whether Windows can take advantage of this is a moot question.
But by having a separate D partition, you can just back-up your 😧 drive and know you have saved all your user data.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK guys..... thanks very much for the info`s.... and I`m learning something new.... I can see the benefit of having the windows install/system on the C;/ to make it easier for the system to be kept uncluttered by adding other progs ... Makes (some sort of )  sense !....
Having read the Gizmo page on the linky by kmilburn, ( thanks for that )... I can see it will be real easy for me to move the "bulky" folders onto the D:/ section , according to the list of folders that are "eligible" for that kind of move....
Can I move my, already installed, programs in the same way?  i.e. they will still work from the D:/ location as if they were on the C:/  ( except , I would have to erase all the shortcuts on my desktop, and make new ones from (pointing to) the D:/ drive  (which would be no problem at all.....)  I can`t remember if ALL the progs have a point in the install where it asks for the location to be named.. but I could uninstall them and re-instal, hoping for it ! ! 
I think I will use "foxy`s" copy and paste for my camera downloads, as the symbolic link bit worries me ! ! ... (I`d most likely make a mess of it, and lose my pics ! ! ).. Undecided
VileReynard
Hero

Unfortunately Windows has loads of hard-coded references to program locations which include the C:/ drive modifier in the registry.
So you have to uninstall programs and then re-install them, if you want to put them in D:/
The registry was one of Microsoft's worse ideas.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Thanks for the heads up on the progs, foxy  Wink
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Maybe a simper solution, (sorry, I'm not using Windows 7 at the moment, it broke and I haven't had time to call MS support (can't be ***** to be honest) but I think it's similar to Vista that I'm currently stuck with):
Click 'Start (windows logo)' button then right-click 'documents' and select 'properties', if the same as Vista you should have a tab marked 'Location', click this and you should have an option to move the location of your documents.  Might just 'do the trick'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: w23
sorry, I'm not using Windows 7 at the moment, it broke and I haven't had time to call MS support

If it came pre-installed on your computer then Microsoft will tell u#you you have to contact the computer manufacturer, who will probably tell you your computer is out of warranty!