cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Drive corrupt

Mav
Fixes: 514

Hard Drive corrupt

I have a 320GB HDD (used externally in a caddy) which, since connecting to W7 is showing as unformatted although I know for sure it was in use within XP. I had an idea there was a problem with this drive when the PC (under XP) often failed to boot unless I turned this drive off first.
I have also tried the drive in a second caddy with the same problem.
The error I get is
M:\ is not accessible.
The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable.

Occasionally I get an error indicating that it is not formatted.
Is there a way that the file structure can be repaired so that I can attempt to read any data left on it?
Thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hard Drive corrupt

Spinrite might be able to help you, though is a reasonable out lay unless you know somebody with a copy.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
paulh
Rising Star

always worth trying to see if you can boot up a Llinux live cd and access the drive that way, sometimes Linux will read a drive when Window$ won't ... or use one of the Linux rescue and repair discs like http://www.sysresccd.org/, there's a quite a few of them about
Mav

I don't really know much about Linux except for a few snippets here & there as I've never had an urge to try it.
I understand, maybe wrongly, that you can boot Linux from CD or even USB drive without having to install it to a hard drive.
If this is possible could you point me to a decent tutorial, please.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you got a year to learn it?
Mav

Thanks for the pointers...
I downloaded an Ubuntu Live CD iso and burned with Nero.
Booted from that (didn't even have to change the boot priority) and found how to view the drives - quite intuitive really.
Plugged in the offending drive and was able to recover just over 64GB and lost all of around 500MB.
Very happy with this.
Also, Ubuntu reported a potential problem with another drive. Although it didn't indicate which drive in particular within its message I did notice one of the drive icons was displayed lighter than the rest so am assuming that could be the culprit. Will investugate a little later.
Anyway, for now - all's well - fingers crossed  Cheesy

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Always keep a live Linix CD for such occasions.
So glad that you found it intuitive, MS Windows is not the answer to everything.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
paulh
Rising Star

and you didn't "need a year to learn it" ... which is the myth that so often gets propagated
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

For basic stuff I agree its pretty straight forward. For more complex stuff like trying to get wireless drivers working which need you to compile wrappers and things from the prompt its a nightmare. I remember years ago trying to install an open office RPM. After 3 days I finally gave up and yes I was using YAST which is supposed to make it all easy.
dick:quote
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Things have moved on.
It's plug 'n' go, not plug 'n' pray. Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav

Bad news is this drive along with my other 80GB are both out of warranty  Cry