cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Drive Transfer

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Hard Drive Transfer

My desktop PC has finally died and I will have to get a new one.  I have a query.  I need to transfer the data from one hard drive to the new one.  The existing drive is IDE but I think the new one will be SATA (?)  Is there a simple way of doing the transfer as I'm told it could be a problem.  Can anyone please offer some guidance?  An idiot's guide would be appreciated  Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Hard Drive Transfer

One option would be to purchase a USB enclosure for the old drive (with the correct drive interface of course).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could always connect the old hard drive to the IDE port on the new computer.
Even though it will have SATA ports it should also have one PATA connector.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks guys that's a great help Smiley Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If the old drive has a bootable copy of windows on it then make sure your new PC boots from it's new drive and not your old one.
I was caught out by this once in this situation when the bios reset to defaults making the IDE drive the bootable one. Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine