Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Drive Buffer Size

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Hard Drive Buffer Size

Hi, I have just fitted a second hard drive with the advise of some of the forum members, (Thanks by the way ) Could someone advise please, It is a Hitachi model HDP725025GLA380 250gb 7200rpm with 8mb buffer, slightly bigger capacity than the Main one already fitted to my computer but all other specs should be the same.
I have hardware diagnostics on my computer (came with it ) which when I checked says the Hitachi drive buffer is 7.1 MB when the box and specs when looking for a drive states 8MB, my Samsung SP2004C drive is 8mb and it states 8mb when checking spec via Hardware Diagnostics.
My Question is, Is this anything to be concerned about ? should I go back to where I purchased it from? Everything seems to work fine, by the way they are both SATA drives.
any advise would be appreciated
jono 
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Hard Drive Buffer Size

The drive is fine. That range of drives uses part of the 8MB buffer for the firmware so it will never report 8MB as being available for the drive cache. Also like disk sizes, some manufacturers us 1000 instead of 1024 when determining memory buffer sizes so I suspect Hitachi are doing that as well whereas the samsung may be doing neither.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Peter, I looked on the Hitachi site but could not find an answer, puts my mind at rest.
Kind regards
jono
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi Peter, you very kindly answered my question about the buffer size of my new drive, you hit the nail right on the head with your answer, I got word from Hitachi ( who I contacted first but thought my email had been placed in a bin) a couple of days ago, they said exactly what you said, the firmware takes up some of the buffer size.
thanks once again, just thought I'd let you know
jono