cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Disc Failure + Error Performing Inpage Operation

Mav
Fixes: 514

Hard Disc Failure + Error Performing Inpage Operation

Can a failing G: drive HDD affect boot up? Can it slow boot up times. Also, would accessing a failing (not boot) drive casue the PC to stutter every 30 or so seconds.
I was certain my G: drive was failing so set about backing it all up (only about 54GB on 300GB drive). Half way through everything crashed and reboot times are now considerably longer. My G: drive appears in My Computer but is now named Local Drive as oposed to what it was previously called. Also there is no Total Size or Free Space listed. Clicking on the drive icon produces the 'Error Performing Inpage Operation'.
Currently I am attempting to use chkdsk g: /r to try an recover any data if possible. It is shoiwing step 4 of 5 having completed the first 3 but still showing 0%. I will leave it for some time.
Has anyone else had experience of the above error and successfully recovered data before sending the disc back under warranty?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2 REPLIES 2
samuria
Grafter

Re: Hard Disc Failure + Error Performing Inpage Operation

MS answer to your message is
Error Message:
Error performing inpage operation.
User Action:
Retry the operation. If you still get this message, contact your system administrator. You may need to relocate your paging file
Dont you just hate it when they contact admin when there is only you? Have you got the swap file on this drive if so stop it as MS suggest.
You could try Testdisk as this will recover lost data of all sorts and its free from
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Most maker have free software on their site to test their drives and this is the best as its made just for the one drive type
Depending on your bios and windows see if you can reduce the speed of the drive to get the data as as this may help it may be seen as dont use DMA as if you have a lot of things using DMA it can confuse the poor thing.
Can you try it in another pc?
I have had this problem and sometimes it can be crosstalk were the cables from the drives are to close and talk to each other get the cables well away from any other if you can.
It will slow the pc down to a crawl if it trys to read the drive on boot up and cant as it try like 99 times before giving up
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Hard Disc Failure + Error Performing Inpage Operation

Thanks for the suggestions samuria.
Initially, retrying the operation caused the same error.
I then attempted to disconnect each drive (not the Boot one) to hear if the clicking persists. Couldn't get into Windows at all until all drives were reconnected!
The Swap file is on C:
Windows' own disc check didn't show any problems but Maxtor's own Windows Diagnostics failed on the 300GB drive - all others passed. That's why I wanted to get all the data off quick.
I will try the PIO mode to see if that helps access the data.
Final boot into Windows and my Drive G: does not appear anywhere in My Computer and the clicking hasn't recurred, yet all drives are connected and powered. I am now assuming the worst and that all data will be irrecoverable  Cry
After the above I will take the drive out and attempt to connect it to another PC but am not sure how that would help as it isn't the Boot (System) drive that is the issue?
I doubt if it is a cable problem, though.
I work on the above over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still