Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware'

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware'

@ Steve M:  Please, if you can't be civil when posting do not bother. All your comments in this thread have been derogatory to a certain extent and are not very welcome.
That's RPM to you!!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This thread is getting very close to being locked so please let's have constructive comment.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: RPMozley
@ Steve M:  Please, if you can't be civil when posting do not bother. All your comments in this thread have been derogatory to a certain extent and are not very welcome.
Really? So let me get this right, I make a thread warning MAC users about this and I am In the wrong? The point Is I made this thread to let others be aware but Instead all that seems to be happening Is that you mac users are In denial and actually Is that helpful?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Steve
Might wipe the smug smile of some faces[/url]

So why start the thread with this comment ?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

If you cant get to grips with my sense of humour PlusComUK then that's not my problem, Anyway I don't want to see this thread locked so as the Moderator Strat has already said to us all, Constructive comments please.
RPMozley
Pro

Ah, sorry about that Steve M. I meant the posts on page 3, forgot about original post.
That's RPM to you!!
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

For the record I don't and have never owned a mac. By unfortunately I mean becuase it was a new tweet to me I thought I was going to take some credit from the mac heads. Turns out it was already here. Now if there had just been a discussion about the issue I wouild have moved on but I came to the party late because I was shocked by the responses the OP was getting, especially from one of the mods. I just hope new board users realise that the mods in here are not part of PN.  Seems to me more likely that from early on mac users got grief purely for liking their macs and accused of being blinkered and ignorant. In fact the whole topic looks like it was started just to wind mac users up rather than help IMO. Anyway constructive for the board probably not the post so I apologise to strat but this slagging off of ppl's OS has got to stop we all like the one we use for our own reasons.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Speaking as Strat the customer some may have noticed from my sig that I own a PS3.
There is ongoing competition between PS3 owners and xBox owners and PC gamers who look down on console gamers.
There is also the Windows v Linux users 'debate'
All this is usually very light-hearted and fun as each side extols the virtues of their respective hardware or software at the expense of the other.
I am therefore a little surprised at this thread but aim this observation at no-one in particular.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Speaking as an Apple user for more than 25 years, and as a present and very happy customer of Plusnet, I normally enjoy the PlusNet Forums.
This thread was designed to bait Apple Users from the start though.
I have unfortunately also had occasion to use PC's both at work and at home in the past.
DOS and WIndows OS.
Going to Apple and iMac was the best decision I ever made regarding computers.
And over 25 years, though not a mac tech genius, I know more than most, I also attend other mac forums for tech advice.
I would recommend Apple iMac to anyone.
And OSX (Lion etc) too. Especially the software, it is very robust.
Another recommendation:
I have also used other ISP's, PlusNet is by far the best I have come across, I will not be cancelling my membership.
Excellent Broadband and Customer Service, 24 hours a day.
I just need a larger desk to put my iMacs on !
BB a little slow tonight...

And my main iMac has just done it's daily automatic software update check

I use ClamXav as my main internet ( and all files) protection, along with Little Snitch, which monitors traffic constantly.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
Absolutely absurd.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PlusComUK
I have unfortunately also had occasion to use PC's

Laying your cards on the table there it would seem?  Wink
I've used the information in this thread to INFORM a number of Apple users who, being from the "open-minded" subset are actually grateful for the warning.
Several said "it was too good to last" and thought it was an inevitable reflection of the increased popularity of Apple systems, resulting in them being targeted by the malware authors.  Cool
IanSn
Rising Star

This is a bit like Mods and Rockers  Cheesy - whosoever remembers that.
For those who love to tinker and get oil in their teeth against those who just want something smart that works with no hassle...
The two main protagonists in this thread seem to exist at the opposite extremes of the argument, thus the squabble.
I use both machines and have done for years. Depends what you use them for.
Don't mistake having to tinker with PCs to make them work with intelligence, though -- that was just the downside of Windows, not a sign of how smart you are!!!
Anecdote -- I do remember working for a v large well-known photo library some years ago. It was like an airport full of computers. 50/50 Mac and PCs. The PC technicians were in almost everyday mending some sick PC with its legs in the air. I never saw a Mac tech - they just worked, and worked, and worked.
Good there's been this though. Apple users were smug. And they could always pass on virus to friends who used PCs without realising...
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Probably best to lock the topic down actually, there's so much under current the whole mal ware topic is at risk of getting swept away. Smiley I have a few Os in my life. Which is best depends what I'm doing. My main desktop is Ubuntu 10.04lts, XP pro on the office desk, XP home on my lap, a ps3 and BlackBerry Os2 on the playbook.
I wouldn't try and get a pc game working on my Linux no more than I enjoy using the playstation as a browser. Horses for courses, its very rare you get the full all round package. I have a pair of three quarter length combat shorts, nice in summer but I wouldn't wear  them at a funeral.
I often get a bit from my xbox mates but too be honest who cares! I don't see why I should have to defend my choice of console or Os. There's far two much of it going on.  If someone says they have a problem with Ubuntu do they really need that's why you should use mint as an answer or my ps won't boot, should have got an xbox!! boring, childish, futile and pathetic would sum  it up.
The issue here I see is that a generalisation being made that all mac users are smug because their stuff costs more but they are mugs for paying for it and won't admit when its wrong. Even to the point of saying they deserve this malware for being smug. Get one love people of technology and show some tolerance of other os's it may be the right one for them it not all about you.
I don't know about mods and rockers but maybe in these austere times of high fuel prices tech is the new car when it comes to size of penis stakes.  Just a thought.
RPMozley
Pro

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
maybe in these austere times of high fuel prices, tech is the new car when it comes to size of penis stakes.

Bah, who needs a penis!  Cheesy Grin
Joke aimed at self, not anyone else.  Wink
That's RPM to you!!
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I have a zx spectrum+ the one with the hard keys if you know what I mean ;). Coincidentally my xbox friend drives a 2.8 ford capri hmmm there's a pattern developing here.