cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUDL

Anonymous
Not applicable

HUDL

Tesco have dropped the price of the HUDL Android Tablet from £119 to £99 today.
Which just happens to be the day the Tesco Vouchers for this period are issued !
Coincidence, I think not.

And with the BOOST facility,, all my Vouchers were doubled in Value when purchasing a HUDL.
Cost to myself, just £50.
I thought it was about time I got to play with a computer Tablet, and see what, if anything, it can do for me.
Thinking of it being a backup to my mains powered iMacs, during power cuts I can power the Router off a battery pack I constructed, RT 8 hours.

There is a new version coming out in September, so probably clearing stock in readiness.

So....
Anyone got a HUDL ?
Thoughts, experiences etc.
TIA
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HUDL

OK
HUDL arrived in Store at the Direct Desk, 10am, less than 24 hours since purchase.
Most TD items arrive here around Noon, much quicker than the projected 4pm delivery time.
Having downloaded the User Manual On-Line, that was a good read a few times over last night.
Now....... Just having to wait the recommended 3 hours initial charge, even though it was supplied with an indicated 95% charge.
Best to stick to the recommended time.

Fortunately for me, Tuesday is also Radio Times delivery day, so it's marking up time !!
And this afternoon is.......... HUDL time.

Mav
Fixes: 515

The Hudl was one of many I looked at over the last week or so and was quite impressed with specifications especially the resolution, and pixel density along with the fact it had a mini HDMI out which is something I was particularly keen on (either that or MHL compliant). But I read some reviews that weren't too favourable especially regarding regular freezing.
Also the camera is only 3M and, although I would use it as extensively as I would our dedicated camera I'd still prefer at least 5M.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been 8 hours of Brain Ache, wonderful....
Got the old grey matter working !
Fortunately for me, I have an older Android Smartphone, so am familiar with many of the apps, though that has sat in a drawer for 6 months now.
Although the camera is specced at only 3mp, I'm actually quite impressed at the quality, under good lighting
And after 8 hours of almost continuous "playing", the battery was indicating approx one hour of life remaining.
During the initial setup, a software update was applied.
The only hiccup was it didn't really recognise the Plusnet Router, solved, as suggested by the hudl, by auto setup via the router WPS button, which I didn't even know existed !
And for some reason, the USB cable does not allow data transfer with my iMacs.
Solved with androidfiletransfer app.
The downloaded user manual only suggests PC Internet Explorer.
I allowed Google to access my info, and it magically linked to all sorts of Google apps on the iMacs !

So far, I'm impressed, especially at a cost of £50 with vouchers, and it is doing what I hoped.
Cue hudl Wednesday !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another "enjoyable" hour !!
With having the older Android phone, I searched my history for the past 12 months, and opened up 72 tabs, of which I saved 32 as bookmarks for later perusal !
Similarly for older Android Bookmarks, 28 of those.
Going to be a busy day today !
atm, recommended.
(The Video quality of BBC iPlayer is excellent)

Now I just have 460 Android RSS feeds from the last month to cull  (NetNewsWire)...
... That was quick.
I just scrolled down the feeds, only 5 worthy of further investigation.
Most were just Android News

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aaargh... Brain Fade.
Had to get out and go for a walk ....
And now it's time to....... read the User Manual !!
I did read it before the hudl arrived, now it's time to see what I am doing not quite correctly, and answer a few points that have arisen.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Five out of Six..... not bad  ! Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's all hudl together !
Impressed with the Live TV quality, and the actual long battery life after a 3 hour recharge, with battery monitoring app, I left the hudl showing live BBC News overnight, 7¾ hours so far, and still going strong.
No buffering at all, my Broadband download speed is 19mb/s, and the wifi link to the hudl from the Plusnet Router is measured at 52mb/s.
The youngsters are back home from University, and keep pestering me to use it, so, as a belated present for Exams, I've just ordered four more from Tesco.
They don't know yet !!
A hudl household !
At least until they go back to University September....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there no escape ?  Cry
Grabbed a Screenshot of BBC Breakfast live on the hudl, and what do I hear ?
The sound of a SHUTTER !!!
(Screengrab: Hold Power and Volume down buttons for a second, a smaller version of the Screengrab appears, along with the Shutter sound !!)
shutter
Community Veteran

Beware the Ides of Shutter !  Grin Grin Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

I now have all 5 terrestrial channels to view Live, plus some other Freeview channels I cannot receive on my local Freeview "Lite" transmitter
Plus I can now install Sky Go on a portable device, I couldn't do this on my old Smartphone, non compatible.
Sky News I mostly watch live for the Paper Reviews, but it now means I have portability in and around the Home.
BBC iPlayer, I can download programmes, so if out and about, away from WiFi,  I can view independently of WiFi.
8+ hours viewing time seems to be the norm, 30 days to watch BBC downloaded TV.

The SatNav apps work very well too, though not quite as quickly as the dedicated fitted SatNav in the car.
Still getting to grips with Google+ though, and photo's or screengrabs seem to have a life of their own regarding where they are stored !!

Internally, SD card, Google, iDrive, Cloud etc
I'll sort it eventually.

BTW, I've seen the hudl with a redeemable voucher offer for £84 somewhere, , if anyone is interested.
shutter
Community Veteran

I think I will wait until you have completed your in depth review, before getting one.....
perhaps the MKII version will be out by then, and the current one will be about £20.00...... so cheap enough for me to buy one !  Cheesy
Mav
Fixes: 515

When at home I prefer to watch TV on the TV rather than a small screen which you'd really need to hold all the time unless you invest in a holder which then makes it less portable.
I can imagine watching the odd short YouTube video, for example, from links given in this forum but that would be the exception. I've only ever used the laptop to watch films or TV when away from home but that's because it's a 15" screen plus you don't need to hold it.
Not tried the SatNav on my Acer yet - will probably do that later in the week.
How do you find the general responsiveness of the Hudl? In the short time I had the SumVision Titan I found it wasn't particularly responsive. The Acer is extremely responsive.
What about the screen in daylight. When I was out in the garden the other day I didn't have too much trouble once I turned the brightness up.
As I mentioned before, having considered the Hudl I'm interested in comparisons.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

valart
Grafter

I have had my Hudl almost 8 months I am really pleased with it I have had no problems although the camera is crap, I did go to Tesco and ask them about battery life the guy told me he charges it nearly every day and he exspects it to last up to three years or more.I suppose when it does not hold the charge you will have to bin it
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not necessarily, don't forget you can power the hudl via the power supply port, whether by its mains power supply, or if needs be, by a battery pack supplying 5v.
In three years, there will probably be after market internal replacement batteries too, as shown by internal photo's.

atm, I'm experimenting with downloading BBC iPlayer programmes, a really nice interface, and up to 30 days to view.
So I will be well prepared for any power cuts due to storms etc.
I have also received a micro HDMI to standard HDMI cable, yet to try out, to convert a non Smart TV into a Smart TV, or even just using the hudl as a downloaded programmes PVR.