Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP printer cartridge replacement

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

HP printer cartridge replacement

I have a HP Deskjet 5940 which uses HP344 colour cartridge... these are about £10 for remanufactured units...they vary in quantity so need to scour the suppliers for the max quantity of ink the get value for money... However, I have found this site,
http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/wgate/zcop_uk/~flN0YXRlPTM4MDc0NzgzNDg=?~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROW...[1]=uk_insert&cookie_v[1]=89&cookie_d[1]=&cookie_p[1]=%2f&cookie_e[1]=Mon%2c+14-Dec-2009+10%3a25%3a45+GMT&scrwidth=1280
(and there are probably others) which now make a seperate print head, and refillable tanks, as used in other printers such as  Epson.  so in theory it should be cheaper to get the refilled tanks.....
Has anyone ever used these on the HP printers?
If so, do they perform as good as the remanufactured cartridges.
(Not interested in speculative responses e.g. Originals are best because...................) Lips_are_sealed
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: HP printer cartridge replacement

I have recently changed to using a CISS system on my iP4000 (canon), the canon does have a separate head, all the cart is is a holder for ink. I was using Jettec carts for many years but decided that the cost of the ink in bulk was cheaper and this system would pay for its self in a year or so.
So far pleased with the results, and it is easier to see how much ink is left, it is on the side of the printer now ;). And refilling is a LOT easier.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I have seen and investigated the CISS system, however, my printing needs would mean an investment further than my expected lifetime !  But agree it seems like a good idea for the heavy user.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The cost has come down a LOT. My setup for the iP4000 (5 colour) was sub £30 with ink (from the UK/ebay) . Dealextream are also doing the basic kit sans ink for sub £10.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm sounds more interesting.... did a google on dealextreme, but no result in their search box for ciss.... can you give me any links to either?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Sorry spooling was wrong <a href="http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24441">clicky</a>
shutter
Community Veteran

Been and seen... £6.89  WOW. !  but I don`t think it will work with my printer, as there is a bar over where the print head runs across, which would foul the pipes from the reservoirs...
I don`t think my printer will work with the lid open either.
also from the ocmments below, it looks as though it is a bit of "Heath-Robinson" kit, that you have to make work yourself, as no instructions... still an interesting project I suppose,
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I thought mine wouldn't work with the lid "open" either, but it only open about 1/2" at the LHS and doesn't stop it working. Not sure about the "bar" though. The pipes run down into the cavity and are very flexible.
Check out <a href="http://www.inkallsorts.co.uk/PhotoSmart-C5280-CISS-Continuous-Ink-System.html">here</a> for some info on how to install it.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for that... watched the install video and may be able to use this one.... the pipes look a lot smaller than the first linky you gave.... similar "bar" in the HP, so will have to do some emailing to the guy to see what/if there are any problems..
cheers    Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star

my pipes are about 2mm thick each.