Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Printer

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

HP Printer

Looking for a new HP printer after my other one was broken by my son  Roll_eyes
He changed the cartridges and did it wrong and now it's jamming up and tried to fix but no luck.  I'm in the process of getting a new printer.
Narrowed down to two HP printers, both in  HP Instant Ink program which we find useful.  
It isHP Envy 7640 and HP OfficeJet 5740
They both have fax and identical specs.  Only difference is Envy 7640 has 'Photo' on it.  Whereas the other doesn't mention 'Photo' on the panel.
They both look identical and hard to spot the difference.  Can you see the difference? I would go for OfficeJet only due to cheaper cost.  Envy is £40 more (on Amazon).
Thanks
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
27 REPLIES 27
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: HP Printer

No experience of those particular models.... however,... I did have a HP Deskjet840c, which was at least 15 years ago... and quite a good machine for printing photos from the computer... only problem was, it would not print "edge to edge"... I was a big fan of HP because I could refill the cartridges... and in that machine they were BIG... however.. when it came to looking for another, the only advantage I could see was the front loading of paper... compared to other printers... in the end.. I considered an Epson (top loading-gravity fed) with cheap individual colour refills, or the more expensive HP with front loading.... I opted for the Epson SX440... it is a scanner, copier, printer unit... and, although it sits on the top of the desk... it does produce good quality print of text and photos... and ..some really good deals on replacement cartridges... e.g.. just before christmas.. I bought 4 sets of colour with  8 black cartridges for less than the price of 2 sets of HP cartridges... The Epson was, I think, about £60 compared to the HP at about £90... in your favourite computer shop.... PC world.. Obviously, by now, it will have been superceded.. but worth looking at other makes before finalizing on HP....
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

HP is our firm decision due to HP instant ink, personal email, and easy set up.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

possibly the photo one has borderless printing
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Possibly.
But I never do photo printing.  Apart from images that may be on a document.
My photo prints are normally done online or at Boots - if I ever need to print them out!  Roll_eyes
Think i should stick to the OfficeJet?  Tongue
Anonymous
Not applicable

A photo printer is a colour printer that can produce images that mimic the colour range (gamut) and resolution of prints made from photographic film...
Any inkjet can print photos in colour, but if you want results that approach professional photofinishing, you'll need a printer designed to reproduce the dynamic range of a traditional photograph.
If you consider the printer a critical aspect of your digital darkroom, you need to look at the gamut and characteristics of the ink set, the supported papers, the colour-management tools, and the paper path options.

My current HP printers are all Photo Models, as were all my previous Epson ones.
All had the option to print on Photo Paper.
Perhaps the non Photo models don't show this option ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes it does from the link in the first post and the print resolution is exactly the same
g1000
Grafter

I had a quick look, they certainly aren't identical. Straight away from the pictures, the touchscreens are obviously different. So are the printing speed specs. There may be more, I didn't check much after that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I buy Tech, I always download the relevant user manual, if available.
Here are the HP ones for the printers mentioned...
Envy
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426138
Office Jet
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426664
There may be relevant information therein.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

They are both able to handle printing photos - office jet won't perform as well.
I only printed a huge lot of photos once on my current printer and that was a 'photo' printer.
Mainly I print documents and forms etc... I very rarely print photos.
Perhaps OJ is for me?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've been looking into replacing an ageing Canon ip4000 inkjet. I need borderless printing and CD printing. The ip400p does duplex but that's not essential. I've scoured the ranges of all manufacturers with cash waiting but I can't find a single one that gets a good review. Even the latest Canon ones get mediocre reviews.
I run a laserjet for documents so just need it for a weekly colour spreadsheet or 2 and the odd photo run.
Let's be careful out there !
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I found on our HP printer the ink carts kept drying up and I had to use loads on head clean. The print quality was good tho'.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Get a laser.
Much cheaper to run & the "ink" doesn't clog up.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

We don't print enough and lasers cost more money.
We need to have colour, fax, copy/scan and lasers can be typically big.
Do you think I should get Envy or OfficeJet?
NE
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

My HP laserjet p1102w is tiny. Well worth looking at for day to day black and white documents as they are a lot cheaper to run.
Let's be careful out there !