Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP NX9105 WiFi and Ubuntu

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

HP NX9105 WiFi and Ubuntu

If anyone would like a free NX9105 notebook there will be one leaving my front room shortly via the window.
I loaded Ubuntu onto it and all works fine apart from the inbuilt WiFi (Broadcom I believe).
The Ethernet port died long ago so I am using a USB to Ethernet adaptor with no problems.
I seem to have about as much chance of it connecting to my router as I have of completing the pre-installed 3D Chess. Angry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: HP NX9105 WiFi and Ubuntu

Strat,
Have you been here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported , it may help.
I just installed Ubuntu on an old desktop and looked into USB wireless adaptors , this http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peripherals/Network+Products/Adapter/Wireless-G+(54Mbps)/+Safecom+54M...
seems to be a cheap and cheerful one which supposedly works out of the box.
Hope that helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Thanks Ian. Looks like it's a  Broadcom BCM4306 (rev 03) needing various pieces of software to maybe work. I'll give it a go.
Thanks again Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Denzil
Grafter

Try the Ubuntu forums as well, they can be a great source of information. I recently built myself a Dell C400 from spares and, yes, everything worked with Ubuntu apart from the wifi card. I found the answer on the forum - somebody had worked out how to build their own driver and posted it for all to use.