Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Laserjet 4 & 64-bit Windows 7

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

HP Laserjet 4 & 64-bit Windows 7

Please can anyone tell me whether the rather ancient HP Laserjet 4 is compatible with 64-bit Windows 7?
Currently, I have it running under XP, but can't find any reference to a driver for 64-bit Win 7.
Perhaps a driver is included with Win 7.....any ideas?
Many thanks......
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: HP Laserjet 4 & 64-bit Windows 7

according to this forum you should be ok.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

My W7x64 setup allows you to define HP Laserjet 4 on an LPT port so I guess the drivers are included.
I have an LJ6 as my default printer on LPT1..... Wink
Chances are if you plug it in it will recognise it anyway.  Cool
fotobits
Rising Star

My goodness, what a speedy response!
Thank you so much Dvorak and HPsauce.  I am delighted with your respective responses.
I will be using a USB connection HPsauce, however, that wiil not be an issue.
The HP help-desk could not find the Laserjet 4 in their records!
Regards and thank you both again.....Noel
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

If a new install of W7 64 bit doesn't  find a driver - tell it to look at Windows Update. As I remember the basic install kit doesn't include all the drivers for older kit. My venerable LJ5Si wasn't included, but after it looked in Windows update a whole host of additional drivers appeared.
Like HPSauce my W7 64 includes Lj4, 4 Plus, and endless 4M, 4L, 4P, 4Si and 4V variants as possible installs.
One thing to watch out for (not sure if it will affect your Lj4) the HP 64 bit drivers seem to default to Properties/Device Settings/Installable Options/Mopier Mode: Enabled. Apparently this tells the driver that the printer can print multiple copies of its own volition, even of the printer can't.
The default setting meant my LJ1200 would only print one copy of any document regardless of what I put in the copies box when asking  an application to print.
If you get that problem simply change Mopier Mode to Disabled and the driver will happily print multiple copies. [Took me six months of frustration before I found that one!]
fotobits
Rising Star

Thank you so much Wisty.
Such valuable info!
Regards.....Noel