cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG612 - still ok?

throwawayforum
Hooked

HG612 - still ok?

I've been using a HG612 for about five years and recently switched to plusnet. I see a lot of rather convoluted talk online about various types of modem being better depending on what kit is in the local Cab (LCBUS)? 

Is this true or is it simply just a waste of money to replace?

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: HG612 - still ok?

This Huawei modem works fine with Plusnet. They can also be unlocked so that you can get detailed performance statistics. If you have a decent router then stick with this combo.

I understand that whilst they may work better than an ECI one if you are connected to a Huawei fibre cabinet., they work just as well as an ECI modem if you’re connected to an ECI cabinet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

LCBUS, is that your exchange code?  If so, I'm in Burscough as well!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

throwawayforum
Hooked

The Burscough gang checking in!
Baldrick1

If you want to know which make of fibre cabinet you are connected to first identity the cabinet, see https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm, then look at it and compare with this. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Did you not get a router when you switched? The Hub 1 does need an Openreach modem, and normally only cost the price of postage, and can be very handy if you have line problems.

throwawayforum
Hooked

I did recieve a router but I did not even open the box - I never use the ISP provided stuff
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@throwawayforum wrote:

I've been using a HG612 for about five years and recently switched to plusnet. I see a lot of rather convoluted talk online about various types of modem being better depending on what kit is in the local Cab (LCBUS)? 

Is this true or is it simply just a waste of money to replace?

Only for a small speed difference - not worth the cost of a new modem/router unless you have additional reasons such as:-

Gigabit cabling or superior wifi.

The Plusnet hub 1 is very locked-down and lacks many capabilities, although the wifi seems moderately good and its very cheap.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

An interesting thread, thank you OP for asking this question and to those who have replied.

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Baldrick1

@vultura

As you found this interesting it's worth correcting this post. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/HG612-still-ok/m-p/1591511#M84363. The Plusnet Hub One does not require a modem as there's one uilt in.  However the Hub Zero does need one.

Moderator and Customer

vultura
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 wrote:

As you found this interesting it's worth correcting this post. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/HG612-still-ok/m-p/1591511#M84363. The Plusnet Hub One does not require a modem as there's one built in.  

@Baldrick1 Looks like you have me confused with Mustrum.

Baldrick1

No, I'm not confused. As you said:

@vultura wrote:

An interesting thread, thank you OP for asking this question and to those who have replied.

It occurred to me that you might like to know that there is an error in one of the replies so that you were not left with wrong information..

Moderator and Customer

vultura
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 wrote:

It occurred to me that you might like to know that there is an error in one of the replies so that you were not left with wrong information.

Ahh, fair enough, it read like you wanted me to edit the earlier post and that post wasn't by me.

I did spot the typo, but as I don't have a Hub One or Zero I ignored it.