cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG612 With google replacing hub one

Hooked

HG612 With google replacing hub one

Hi .. hope i’ve put this question in the right place .. I have fibre and a hub one, but want to use google Wifi for it’s coverage. Having read the forums , I got a refurbed hg612 3B to use with the google. In swapping the hg612 in for the hub one, I get dsl on solid, but google doesn’t see a connection. Trying a direct connect with my laptop doesn’t raise a connection either.  

Reconnecting the hub one confirms that the line is good but trying google Wifi setup sticks because the setup doesn’t see a signal when connecting the Ethernet from the hg612. 

Any suggestions please ?? Thanks !

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: HG612 With google replacing hub one

just checking that you've entered your PN details in the Google WiFi settings here https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6246630#PPPoE
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It looks like your trying to use the Google device as an access point rather than a router.

Do a factory reset on the Google and set it up again from scratch via the app and set it up as PPPoE, using your Plusnet account-name@plusdsl.net and password.see this if you need any more details https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Hooked

Thanks Dvorak.. I can’t get that far .. in the google app, i can only get as far as ‘plug in the Ethernet cable’ .. it is plugged in but clearly the app isn’t ‘seeing’ it ,,

Hooked

Thanks Baldrick1 ... I have tried that but same as above. I unplugged the first google Wifi and tried anew my second, brand new google WiFi (I got a two pack) ... and again same result ... app is stuck at ‘plug in ethernet’ so I can’t get to place where I can select and enter pppoe

Hooked

I’ve just noticed that the small green and yellow led’s on the lan1 socket on the hg612 are not lit at all ... when plugging Ethernet cable in and not ... hmm .. wondering about the hg612 now ....

@1764 wrote:

Thanks Baldrick1 ... I have tried that but same as above. I unplugged the first google Wifi and tried anew my second, brand new google WiFi (I got a two pack) ... and again same result ... app is stuck at ‘plug in ethernet’ so I can’t get to place where I can select and enter pppoe

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Hooked

Thanks yes i’ve Swapped the Ethernet cable too but still no luck ... I think the refurbed hg612 I bought is a pup ...

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Isn't the HG612 just a VDSL modem which needs plugging into a router+wifi device with a WAN connection?

I believe this was the exact configuration that Plusnet issued to me for fibre, about 8 years ago - and still running well!

Unless you can disable the modem half of the Hub-1, it won't work.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yes, and google WiFi does exactly that.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Have a look at the bottom of the HG612, ideally you want it to be a "3B" version. They are clearly 3B marked on the bottom (and also had a 1A power supply). I recently bought a refurb from eBay as well but got sent a v1 (no big 3B marking and power draw was 0.7A).

The earlier models were renowned for overheating and having hardware failures such as you've described. Connecting a LAN cable from your PC to LAN1 should at least bring up a link light, if it doesn't it's a faulty modem.

***Small point as well but when you get a working HG612, do try to wall mount it as thermally even the 3B's weren't impervious to overheating but vertically mounting them does help quite a lot.

www.steveocee.co.uk