Did you mean: 

HELP - my pc wont reboot - User Profile Service fails at login

penneck
Aspiring Pro

HELP - my pc wont reboot - User Profile Service fails at login

It was okay yesterday, but today when I boot up my pc, I get the following:-

"User Profile Service service failed the login

User Profile cannot be loaded"

I am running in Safe Mode With Network at the moment. I have tried System Repair, I have tried System Restore, and I have been able to run Malwarebytes.

System Restore said I had no restore points. I used to have them, they were there the last time I did a System Restore but that was 2 or 3 years ago, so has something nasty got on my pc that knew just what to attack?

Any help please. All gratefully received. Thanks

65 REPLIES 65
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: HELP - my pc wont reboot - User Profile Service fails at login

What operating system are you using?
Windows automatically makes System Restore files after large updates, unless you have option turned off.

Did you ensure the arrow as ticked was selected as screenshot.
If Windows 10 or earlier did you never make a recovery drive onto a USB stick?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I use Win 7. I don't know anything about turning off the automatic production of System Restore Points. I cannot imagine I would have done so deliberately, but then System Restore is only somewhere I go when I need to. As for backups - guess what - no I don't make them. I have a Windows Defender Offline For Win 7 disk - would that help?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@penneck - You have to remember that this is Windows, so have you tried powering off, restarting and logging in normally? I had a similar issue with this on Server 2012 R2 and all I did to fix it was to physically power the device off, then back on. It worked for me so it may be worth a try.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've run Shutdown, then hit the power button to turn the pc on again several times, but just in case, I have just turned the pc off, disconnected it from the mains, then brought it back up, but still get the problem

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I came across this problem a few years ago. 

I applied Method 1 to fix (The User Profile Service failed the logon)  as outlined in the Microsoft Support page here 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

This did the trick for me too, but it was a bit worrying. First of all, the experts say using regedit should be treated with great caution so I worried all the way through. Then it didn't make any difference the first time. When I went into regedit again, for some reason the changes I had made had undone themselves, so I had to do them again. The second attempt has worked. Let's hope there is no repeat of the problem

Many thanks to all for your help.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Well that didn't last long. Having run your solution, I was able to boot up normally, but first time I rebooted since then, and the fault is back. The filenames haven't needed to be modified, but the RefCount and the State values have been. However, this process isn't solving the problem any more, so I'm back in Safe Mode.

Something I have noticed every time I boot up, even in Safe Mode, is that Malwarebytes is bringing up a warning message "Real-Time Protection is turned off". In fact, from what I can see at the moment, everything on Malwarebytes is turned off. 'Real-Time Protection' wont turn on (by moving the slider), but 'Look for Rootkits' will. Malwarebytes is running a scan now, though I didn't ask it to. I loaded an update for Malwarebyes yesterday. Could that be the cause of my woes?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@penneck not sure if this is "part of the problem"..... as it is dated 28 Jan 2018.... but may be Malwarebytes is hogging the memory  and causing problems..

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/malwarebytes-big-problem/

Apparently malwarebytes has made a new update that resolved it.. but......

it seems  the way around it is to disable, or unistall malwarebytes and see if that cures it ...

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Shutter,

That is what I have done, uninstalled Malwarebytes. Have done at least 3 cold boots into Normal Mode since then, and there hasn't been a problem. I will do several more cold boots over the next few hours, then if no problems will try to reinstall Malwarebytes. If the problem then comes back again, I will uninstall Malwarebytes and risk life without it for a month or two.

I don't like being without MWB, because it has been so good, but.........

Thanks to all

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@penneck wrote:

the experts say using regedit should be treated with great caution so I worried all the way through.

It's accuracy that is required more than caution.  If you can follow instructions carefully then there is no need to worry.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@penneck  I would not "re-install" malwarebytes....... rather, I would download a new copy .... and then let it do it`s own updates... and perhaps that way, you will miss out on the "corrupting" update...

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

With the PC working normally I would also consider creating a System Restore Point and doing a back up of essential files!!!!

Brian

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for the delay. To bring everybody up-to-date, I have cold-booted the pc several times without a problem, I have installed a new download of Malwarebytes Free (which is what I meant when I wrote re-install earlier), and I have created a set of recovery DVDs plus a System Repair DVD (9 DVDs in total). Is the creation of these DVDs what is normally referred to as a backup? How often should I do this? It took 2 or 3 hours for this set.

There is one System Restore Point. I haven't found a way of scheduling the creation of more of these, say every month, or whatever. Do old System Restore Points get deleted, and if so, would that be because of their age or because of several more recent System Restore Points?

Thanks to everyone for their help

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You can specify the amount of disk space that System Restore will use.  Once this space is full then old restore points will be deleted as new ones are added.  Go to System Protection (under System Properties) then Configure

"The User Profile Service failed the logon” is an occasional error on all versions of Windows from Vista onward.  Either the registry edit or running System Restore will fix it, but editing the registry tends to be quicker, particularly on later versions of Windows where System Restore takes forever.  It has always been an error that is difficult tor reproduce so if Malwarebytes have created something that causes it reproducibly, maybe Microsoft can make use of this to finally prevent it from happening at all?