Did you mean: 

HDD in Caddy , problem...

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

HDD in Caddy , problem...

Ordered one of these....
http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.5-inch-sata-ide-hard-drive-esata-usb-enclosure-221180
at 4PM on Thursday (yesterday)... and it arrived today (Friday) at 12.30.
On my Windows Vista Home Premium Laptop, it recognises my new Samsung hdd ( as mentioned in Windows software - laptop restore - reply number 5 )...
However, it does not show another (old) HDD I have, which has Linux Mint9 on it.
The laptop makes the appropriate sound (Berdonk) !  when the usb is plugged in, so it recognises "something"... however....
On my second laptop, which has Linux Mint 9  as the OS... when I plug in the same (old) HDD it is recognised and shows the files and folders etc.
Any thoughts on why it is not recognised on VISTA but it is recognised on Mint 9?

11 REPLIES 11
Ellis
Grafter

Re: HDD in Caddy , problem...

Just shows that far from being more difficult than Windows to use, Linux systems are easier. Having ditched Windows as a general system in 2006, I wouldn't go back. It does what I need with far less hassle.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Windows won't be able to read ext3, ext4 or other Linux filesystems, but it should be able to format the disk from Disk Management. Windows should see the disk and some unknown partitions.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you want to be able to mount extn drives using M$ you need a driver (google for ext3 driver & your M$ version)
By default your Mint 9 drive will be ext3 formatted, where as your M$ drive will be ntfs/fat32.
shutter
Community Veteran

@ Ellis ......Linux does seem to be more "intelligent" regarding checking the HDD on boot up, and giving a warning about the likely future failure....
@ ejs........Windows (my Vista) does not show the additional drive in "My Computer"... it only shows drive C and D (CDrom)...
when I plug in the "old" hdd... yet it does show the NEW HDD, as mentioned in the original post...
With respect to the first statement on this post, If Linux can do a check and show the result on boot up... why does windows have to keep it secret until it happens...
@ Ellis.....I would love to change to Linux Mint as my main OS, but ........ ah yes... see many previous attempts to get it working, in the Linux forum.... Cry
@ Hairy Biker.... Hmm... so , basically, because it has Linux on it. Linux will recognise it.... whilst Windows won`t.....
(how childish of windows ! ! )
shutter
Community Veteran

@HB.... Just put in ext3 to Google search, and found this page
http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux-partitions-from-windows
reading into the first para it says...
Ext2 Installable File System For Windows (as a linky) then qualifies that with
The Ext2 Installable File System For Windows can be used for read write operations.
Is this the sort of thing I need?
shutter
Community Veteran

Have downloaded and installed the above....
My Vista laptop now shows the "old" hdd, but when I click on it to "explore" it or see what files/folders are on it, I get a message box

You need to format the disc in  drive  F: before you can use it
Do you want to format it now?

No.. I don`t ... so am only one stage further on....
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi shutter. The drive will not show up in my computer, as its a filesystem windows does not recognise. It should however be seen in vistas disk mgt tool
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Did you do the M$ normal thing of rebooting after installing s/w?
Other than that try penfold's theory, sorry but it has be nearly 5 years since I used a M$ OS  Grin
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I know that explore2fs doesn't work anymore, with current ext3 filesystems (because it doesn't support 256 byte inodes), and [quote author="http://www.fs-driver.org/relnotes.html"]Large inodes
The current version of Ext2 IFS only mounts volumes with an inode size of 128 like old Linux kernels have.
Some very new Linux distributions create an Ext3 file systems with inodes of 256 bytes. Ext2 IFS 1.11 is not able to access them.
Where "very new" means 2008 or later.
This project seems a bit more up to date: http://www.ext2fsd.com/
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shutter
Hmm... so , basically, because it has Linux on it. Linux will recognise it.... whilst Windows won`t.....
(how childish of windows ! ! )

It's a bit like speaking English.  We tend to rely on everybody having to learn to speak our language and so we don't try very hard to learn other languages. 
shutter
Community Veteran

Think I have cracked it !...
Originally downloaded and installed Ext2IFS_1_11a.exe
no instructions to reboot after install....
then found Ext2Fsd-0.51.exe  Installed that, and removed the first one using Control Panel.
Rebooted as per instructions... plugged in the "old"  (Linux Mint 9) HDD.... (Berdunk) but not showing on My Computer.
Went back to the download and re-installed the first one, .... re-booted, and then plugged in the "old" hdd (with Linux Mint 9 on it)
Now when I go to my computer the drives show, and I can also see the file folders...
(for info.... it is noted on the Forum below the download instructions for Ext2Fsd-0.51.exe, that it is not compatible with Vista, or 7.... however someone said it works if you disable the Windows UAC !... (Which I have already done when I first got the laptop!)... )
As usual.... Thanks guys...  Wink