Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD failing???

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

HD failing???

Tonight the wifes laptop gave an odd error, I have never seen before along the lines of 'cannot load current user profile due to a network issue or corrupt user profile' it suggested logging on with a temp profile, but I declined. i logged on with the system admin account, and system restored to 2 days ago, and all fine. Event viewer shows alot of red errors about \device\harddisk\d has a bad sector.  I presumed this suggested the HDD was dying, but on running chkdsk, and seagate seatools, nothing appears to be wrong. Is the HDD failing???  I have transferred all data over the network to another system just in case, but would welcome any advice.
5 REPLIES 5
thejudge
Rising Star

Re: HD failing???

Go to the website of the HDD manufacturer - most of them have diagnostic software for download.
Failing that, I'm told that Seagate's diagnostics will work on most HDDs: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/troubleshooting_assistance
HTH
samuria
Grafter

Were is the laptop used as the error is normally for a Domain were the profile is downloaded from the server at logon. It certainly suggests its getting a profile from somewhere other than the local pc.
It doesn't suggest they drive is failing but backing up data is always a good idea
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi Samuria
Its certainly not used in a Domain environment, just on my own home network workgroup. I dont have Home Server or any other form of that sort of thing, as only have 1 desktop, and 2 lappies, so it would be overkill.  After the system restore things seem fine, just worried that HHD was about to fall over.  I will keep an eye on the error logs, and see what happens.
Chris
samuria
Grafter

Has the laptop been used at work or somewhere else which would account for trying to get the profile from somewhere else?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

No, its never been near a domain environment.  Seems a bit odd, but it seems to be OK now.  Chalk up to oddness