Graphics card update help

Using...
Motherboard P8Z68-V
GPU: KFA² GeForce GTX 560 EX OC
CPU: Intel i5-2500K  LGA 1155 - BX80623I52500K
PSU: 720W (good quality)
O/S:  Win7 64Bit
Memory: 2x8GB ?
Need another card to replace this old GPU that needs constant pampering.
Not sure what to buy in all honesty, not up with stuff that will play happy and not cause to much of a bottle-neck with this old ish system.
Just had another round of windows7 updates that has broken it again with the following errors this time, seems like the 500 range of cards have a few problems.
The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver
due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to
continue.
The application must close.

Error code: 7

Also now getting red lines etc.
50 REPLIES 50
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Graphics card update help

which is the most advanced - graphics requirement - you play and what screen resolution
As an off the shoulder thought
Could the on board graphics be conflicting with the card
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

When does this happen? (the [broken] link suggests this is most likely to occur during intensive rendering.
Are you overclocking at all (i5-2500K is an 'overclocker' after all and Z68 also has a bias that way)?
Looks a decent system and not exactly 'out-dated' by any means, a similar GFX card from a later series (660 or 760) should restore original performance (maybe better) and may also consume less power.  I'd totally remove the drivers and reinstall from a fresh download (I'm sure you know that already though) whether changing card or attempting to work with the existing one.
Quote from: 11110_110
Also now getting red lines etc.

Ouch, that sounds potentially like hardware failure - have you tried removing the heatsink and reinstalling with fresh thermal paste?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
30FTTC06
Pro

The most labour intense game he plays are Skyrim and Heros of the storm (Desktop res is 1920x1080) My thoughts are that he might be trying to play at the Res  Huh
I've not thought about the Onboard Jim in all honesty, I'll see if I can disable that in the bios if at all possible. Other thoughts for tomorrow are to update the motherboard drivers and bios to the latest.
But I do think it's time for another Card.
I guess I could get a PCi Express 3 card but I think it would just not be used to it's potential, or be a bottle-neck ?
30FTTC06
Pro

@w23 yes the machine is being overclocked, I would have to check how much.
That isn't the exact message, but I was stressing it at the time with FurMarK

No, just cleaned it all out.
w23
Pro

Quote from: 11110_110
I guess I could get a PCi Express 3 card but I think it would just not be used to it's potential, or be a bottle-neck ?

Pretty sure that none of these cards need anything like the full potential of PCIE3, your Z68 shouldn't bottleneck them at all.
FurMark will tend to find any 'deficiencies' (trouble is identifying exactly where the problem lies when it finds / causes one).  I'd try (temporarily) reducing or removing any overclock just to see if that stabilises things.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
30FTTC06
Pro

The red lines only happen when he's playing games, I can't repeat with the stress test. I'll turn the heat down tomorrow to settle it down till we get another Card I guess.
I used DU from Guru3d to clean all the drivers out, I was quite impressed with that as well.
30FTTC06
Pro
keyholder
Grafter

Dont bother wasting your dolla on a Nvidia gtx 760 just get a Much faster card  -  The amd r9 280x https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-225-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1842 ;         For pretty much the same money. 
Benchmarks - The AMD in skyrim is a min of 10Fps ahead, @ 1920x1080 @ ultra settings + Comes with 3GB of ram, The Gtx 760 comes with 2gb. Most games nowadays like 3Gb of ram.
AMD has a 288Gbit/s memory bandwidth, The Nvidia has only a 192gbit, so im betting the gaming experience on skyrim is suffering on the nvidia..
For the same money the AMD is the logical choice moneywise and common sense wise , If you prefer one card maker over another then the choice is yours.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

pound for pound the AMD cards are the best option  Nvidea are Good but a bit overpriced  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the red lines sounds like the 560's vram is on the way out (I had 3 cards go the same way when they were less than 6 months old)
I can second the amd option based on price, personally I have an R9-270x 2Gb card, I got it to replace a faulting hd7850 which was what scan sent me when the 3rd gtx560 went belly up....
its purely a personal choice buy I found that the amd cards are good so long as you don't install catalyst or otherwise tinker with them (catalyst has problems since it uses 12 year old ATI code that no longer works with the new cards) and there are now more games that actively support amd instead of only supporting NVidia actively tweaking the code so it performs worse on amd cards ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: rongtw
pound for pound the AMD cards are the best option  Nvidea are Good but a bit overpriced  Wink
Things must have changed as the last time I looked Nvidia were ahead for most of the price range - must go away and check
nanotm
Pro

@oj
It all depends on who runs the benchmark and what program they use, most use stuff that is coded to give NVIDIA higher score in the same way most of the major games were coded to run better on NVIDIA, it's what lead to several anti trust investigations that forked into fines against Intel and other US tech companies for artificially ham stringing none US competition.....
NVIDIA will likely always have an edge in benchmarks and continue to be promoted over AMD the latter will likely always win with the more price conscious shoppers though
30FTTC06
Pro

We flipped a coin.....  Cheesy
My concern with AMD stems from past performance of a card which was one or 2 generations on.... in that it gave little to no improvement on fps even though it was supposed to be an all singing all dancing card.
So maybe we were in the period you mention nanotm, (from memory about 10 years ago) hence my reluctance to go there again.
My other thought was that he has many a game on his pc, which is bogged down as it is with junk that teenagers put on their pc's these days, and that all his settings would be leaning towards NVIDIA, not sure if that makes any kind of argument for or against really.
If memory serves me right, I didn't use the catalyst back then either.

nanotm
Pro

if you get one of the amd cards you can get the raptr desktop app that can be used to auto tune games to run better on the new gfx card, its useful and I found it works fairly well even made things like lords of the fallen run more smoothly on my amd system than my NVidia one despite both allegedly having the same performance capabilities/